Tough to diagnose ticking noise

Does it do this when you're sitting still

Yes, both videos were taken while sitting still. It does it sitting still, and while driving. It also does it with or without the clutch pressed.
Well it's going to get worse typically and present itself... That's just kind of a general statement.

Of course you likely feel like I do and you want to fix it as soon as you can and I certainly agree.

I have been astounded as to how hard these things are to locate noises on... And it may be the same with any vehicle but I think one thing is you hear more noises with these because everything is so open ... And there is no sound deadening from the factory to amount to anything and steel resonates.

How are the engine mounts? Could something be lightly contacting the engine as the motor vibrates side to side?
With the oil pan off try and rotate the crank and see if anything comes to light as it spins. A small piece off the OPDA as it turns might cause the tic as it spins in and out of contact. There could be a cracked piston skirt that flexes under load. While the pan is off check all the crank and rod torques. A loose cap might flex and tap as it rotates. These are all unlikely events, but it seems all the common issues have been checked.

Gotcha. I just thinking out loud of how to isolate one factor from another and the fact that it does it key off under coast and that the noise seemed pronounced at the bell housing, ( I missed the pedal down part). Plus separating the bell from the trans only to remount (sans the clutch) with the starter is a lot of work. I'm with Andy- that fact that it does it key off coasting is breaking my brain!

How are the engine mounts? Could something be lightly contacting the engine as the motor vibrates side to side?
With the oil pan off try and rotate the crank and see if anything comes to light as it spins. A small piece off the OPDA as it turns might cause the tic as it spins in and out of contact. There could be a cracked piston skirt that flexes under load. While the pan is off check all the crank and rod torques. A loose cap might flex and tap as it rotates. These are all unlikely events, but it seems all the common issues have been checked.
Vibration noises has been my thought recently. The motor and tranny mounts look to be in good shape. It’s interesting that the grand Cherokee had stiffening braces between the engine and transmission. They show on the service manual for 05 wrangler, but I don’t see them on the parts list. Makes me wonder if it being a more luxury car needed to be quieter so they reduced vibes by adding those braces.
I didn’t retorque any caps while in the oil pan, but I did a bunch of engine rotating and looking to see if I could identify anything. I came up short.

I’m still having this problem. Any more ideas? Could the catalytic converters be causing a ticking noise?
Here’s another video of it ticking. It was rev’d to about 2200 rpm in neutral.

Last edited:
I just bought at 2005 x with 38k miles on it, I've been looking for days and days and this is EXACTLY what I have the same exact noise and symptoms except mine is much more suttle. Its not very noticeable unless your in first or 2nd gear around 2k rpms then above that it gear and rpm it gets drowned out.

I just bought at 2005 x with 38k miles on it, I've been looking for days and days and this is EXACTLY what I have the same exact noise and symptoms except mine is much more suttle. Its not very noticeable unless your in first or 2nd gear around 2k rpms then above that it gear and rpm it gets drowned out.
Funny you say that, I saw your post earlier and was going to comment but I got busy. I'll tell you that I never did find a solution to it. I also know of a really nice low mile LJ that makes the same noise. Ironically they've all been 6 speeds. I'd like to see if any automatics have the issue or if the torque converter somehow mutes the noise. I think mine has it the worst out of any I've heard.

I sat in a 2004 automatic that was at a dealership and listened hard for the noise and didn't hear it, so I'm still not convinced it is how all 4.0's sound. Although it could be a 4.0 with 6 speed sound. I'm still curious what the root cause is.

Funny you say that, I saw your post earlier and was going to comment but I got busy. I'll tell you that I never did find a solution to it. I also know of a really nice low mile LJ that makes the same noise. Ironically they've all been 6 speeds. I'd like to see if any automatics have the issue or if the torque converter somehow mutes the noise. I think mine has it the worst out of any I've heard.

I sat in a 2004 automatic that was at a dealership and listened hard for the noise and didn't hear it, so I'm still not convinced it is how all 4.0's sound. Although it could be a 4.0 with 6 speed sound. I'm still curious what the root cause is.

Yeah I have no idea, I'm going to bring it to a mechanic near me soon and see if they have any ideas, my dad has been a car guy his whole life, rebuilding transmissions and drag racing and like he said its not exaust leak from what he can tell, he does say the muffler vibrates more than usual under load. We didn't really do that much research though.

Yeah I have no idea, I'm going to bring it to a mechanic near me soon and see if they have any ideas, my dad has been a car guy his whole life, rebuilding transmissions and drag racing and like he said its not exaust leak from what he can tell, he does say the muffler vibrates more than usual under load. We didn't really do that much research though.
Let me know what they say. I'd like to hear more opinions.

If you look around the interwebs you'll find this on all jeep forums and it seems like every mechanic says its normal and it seems to only happen with manual transmissions. I just went in 3 different jep forums everyone describing the same sound (like a deck of cards shuffling or a card in a bicycle wheel) and nobody has a solution.

If you look around the interwebs you'll find this on all jeep forums and it seems like every mechanic says its normal and it seems to only happen with manual transmissions. I just went in 3 different jep forums everyone describing the same sound (like a deck of cards shuffling or a card in a bicycle wheel) and nobody has a solution.
Ya, but why does it only happen to manual transmissions when it clearly is an engine noise? My thought is the torque converter dampens engine harmonics. Maybe a heavier or fluid filled harmonic balancer would solve the problem.

Ya, but why does it only happen to manual transmissions when it clearly is an engine noise? My thought is the torque converter dampens engine harmonics. Maybe a heavier or fluid filled harmonic balancer would solve the problem.
Dealership said its totally normal with the 6 speed, its a resonance thing something about the torque converter. And because the previous owner but 31 inch tires on the car its more noticeable.

Dealership said its totally normal with the 6 speed, its a resonance thing something about the torque converter. And because the previous owner but 31 inch tires on the car its more noticeable.
31" tires doesn't have anything to do with it. I can replicate the noise while sitting parked. Also, my jeep came with 30" from the factory, so 1" isn't much of a difference.

I think this is something jeep failed to address from the factory. We know the automatics don't have the problem, so it is solvable. Just need to find out how.

Yeah the dude heard it and knew exactly what it was, he said its only with the manuals. He said they charge $100 dollars to run a diagnostic but he said don't waste your money I'm telling you its normal and its not an issue.

Might be a stretch with how low of miles your 4.0 has, but considering you've already ruled out lifters, and I don't think what I'm hearing is rod knock, have you checked the tension on your timing chain?

It could be an out of spec timing chain (I don't believe the 4.0 has a tensioner). If there's a enough slack, you might be hearing the chain slapping the cover at the right RPMs.

It appears you can access it from the oil pan. Would be a good idea if you can locate the direction of the sound with a stethoscope as others have mentioned. If it's the chain, the slapping sound should be located to the front of the engine by the cover.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/timing-chain-tension-too-loose-1174582/

Last edited:
I had a ticking noise and it sounded similar to yours. You could hear it inside & and outside the cab. I would start the engine and hear this tick, thought it was the fuel injectors. End result was while driving the distributor shaft wobbled so much the rotor struck the contacts in the rotor cap and broke apart (see attached).

IMG_4685.jpg

IMG_4686.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4699.MOV
    7.5 MB
I had a ticking noise and it sounded similar to yours. You could hear it inside & and outside the cab. I would start the engine and hear this tick, thought it was the fuel injectors. End result was while driving the distributor shaft wobbled so much the rotor struck the contacts in the rotor cap and broke apart (see attached).

View attachment 193467

View attachment 193468
Mine (and now mazepam) are 05-06 which don't use a distributor, but instead a cam position sensor. They are also known to cause noise from poor oiling. Mine has a brand new crown unit, which unfortunately did not solve my problem.

I have experienced the exact same thing since I purchased the jeep a year ago. I have the 6 speed so it certainly seems to be an issue with the 4.0/NSG combo. From what I was told by my local transmission shop, it could possibly be a warn input shaft bearing. Id like to replace that and go from there. Mine seems to get slightly louder after long drives. I have a 2 hour drive between home and school. On the occasion I make that drive, the noise is certainly more noticeable when downshifting on an exit ramp.

Last edited: