Tough to diagnose ticking noise

I have experienced the exact same thing since I purchased the jeep a year ago. I have the 6 speed so it certainly seems to be an issue with the 4.0/NSG combo. From what I was told by my local transmission shop, it could possibly be a warn input shaft bearing. Id like to replace that and go from there. Mine seems to get slightly louder after long drives. I have a 2 hour drive between home and school. On the occasion I make that drive, the noise is certainly more noticeable when downshifting on an exit ramp.
I installed a new clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and pilot bearing (what you are referring to as input shaft bearing). It also did not make any difference. I'm quite convinced it's some sort of harmonic vibration that only exhibits itself in the manual without a torque converter. One of these days I'd also like to get an HP tuners and compare the maps of different years and transmissions to see if any of the stock tuning could be causing the noise.

Nope, worse when it's cold out...

But I just been living with it... Don't want to but I don't know the fix...

For me personally i talked to 3 dealerships they all said it was total normal on a 04-06 manual transmission. This is me paraphrasing what all of them said, They shaved some of the engine off to make it lighter so you can hear more of the engine processes in them and its most likely the fly wheel.

Grant mine is almost unnoticeable when I have the radio on and im going over 25 mph so i would imagine my situation is probably different than everyone elses here.

Will you both verify that the ticking noise still exists with the ignition off? I noticed I can drive down the road at an RPM that I can hear the noise and turn the key all the way off while rolling in gear and still hear the noise. If you all can do the same then it's definitely something mechanical and nothing with ignition or fuel injection system (unless it's the mechanical portion of the cam position sensor)

I still want to solve this issue and am glad to have some others showing the same issue. We need to focus on the differences between the manual and auto in 05-06 and also the NSG vs earlier manuals. I don't think anything is broken, but I do think we could solve the problem by modifying something with earlier or aftermarket parts.

Will you both verify that the ticking noise still exists with the ignition off? I noticed I can drive down the road at an RPM that I can hear the noise and turn the key all the way off while rolling in gear and still hear the noise. If you all can do the same then it's definitely something mechanical and nothing with ignition or fuel injection system (unless it's the mechanical portion of the cam position sensor)

I still want to solve this issue and am glad to have some others showing the same issue. We need to focus on the differences between the manual and auto in 05-06 and also the NSG vs earlier manuals. I don't think anything is broken, but I do think we could solve the problem by modifying something with earlier or aftermarket parts.
I just ran outside and it this. There is no noise when the engine is off.

For me there is a noise when the engine is runing between around 1750-3100 rpm, I can be accelerating, cursing, cursing with my foot on the clutch while reeving the engine its just a noise i hear between those rpm.

Last edited:
The RPM range is exact same with me. 2100-2200 I notice it the worst. But I can do it sitting still, driving, clutch in, clutch out, even with igniton off and rolling (although if I push the clutch while coasting with the ignition off, it stops, because the engine stops moving at that point)

OK wait I'm a dummy, I was coasting with my foot on the clutch before :( So i just did it again, if i coast in gear down a hill and turn the engine off i do hear it. its very slight but its for sure still happening when I'm coasting with the engine off in gear.

So yes i hear it in all the scenarios you listed above.

Last edited:
OK wait I'm a dummy, I was coasting with my foot on the clutch before :( So i just did it again, if i coast in gear down a hill and turn the engine off i do hear it. its very slight but its for sure still happening when I'm coasting with the engine off in gear.

So yes i hear it in all the scenarios you listed above.
So that eliminates any cause being the combustion cause there is no combustion taking place with the key off. I also don't think it's the transmission because it makes the noise with the clutch pushed, and the transmission isn't even spinning when the clutch is pushed. I'd like to confirm that 03-04's with manual transmissions have this problem. That would make it an issue with manuals in general, which makes much more sense than a 4.0 NSG370 issue since it seems to be a noise within the engine, and not the transmission.

Here is a video of it from my point of view, i feel like mine is more subtle then yours but still present.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is a video of it from my point of view, i feel like mine is more subtle then yours but still present.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I definitely hear it. I'm going to keep trying things. Let me know if you have any new revelations.

I can't believe I found this thread. I have the exact same noise, completely identical. I thought I was going insane (noises are tricky to google for). Mine's a 2001 4.0 5-spd NV3550 92k Miles. Mine is loudest around the 1900-2000 rpm mark, almost imperceptible on cold start but once things are warmed up after probably 2-3 minutes I can hear it annoyingly clear, most easily from inside the cab as others have also stated. Clutch in or out, in gear or neutral makes no difference. I haven't tried rolling in gear with the engine off so I'll give that a shot and see if I can verify I still hear it like others have.

I did find an exhaust leak where the two pre-cats connect to the manifold and got the bolts tightened up and sealed them with a thin layer of high temp gasket maker, did the vacuum and soap trick and can't see anymore bubbles but it made no difference to the sound. I originally found the leak when slowly pouring seafoam into the intake while running. This all started for me assuming it was lifters/injectors so I put 6oz in the crankcase and the rest when in the intake (This has quieted up the overall engine noise/rattle). Let it sit for 10 minutes and turning it back on and saw a decent amount of smoke coming from around the manifold area, I kinda wanna try again just to see if all the smoke really was coming from the pre-cat/manifold connection or to find a crack. Smoke is much easier to see and it's only $7 a can.

I would like to point out that I didn't notice this noise until relatively recently, after my most recent oil change in July. It has been steadily getting louder. Actually now that I'm thinking about it the whole motor became quite a bit noisier since then. I'm curious to know what oil you guys are running? My last change I put in 6-quarts of synthetic 10-W30 from Costco, only difference from what I would usually use is brand because it was a good deal. I might go to dino oil next and see if that shuts things up at all.

Another thing I'll add is I'm seriously under-geared for my diff/tires, 32 inch BFG and 3.07 gears (Shoulda just got stock tires lol). I really don't think this can have anything to do with it other than possibly wear at some point in the drivetrain from stress? I'm usually driving in the lower RPM range due to this, probably lugging the engine. The only reason I even mention it is becuase I'd just like to throw out as much information as possible so hopefully all of us can find the common thread that ties us all together.

Last edited:
I can't believe I found this thread. I have the exact same noise, completely identical. I thought I was going insane (noises are tricky to google for). Mine's a 2001 4.0 5-spd NV3550 92k Miles. Mine is loudest around the 1900-2000 rpm mark, almost imperceptible on cold start but once things are warmed up after probably 2-3 minutes I can hear it annoyingly clear, most easily from inside the cab as others have also stated. Clutch in or out, in gear or neutral makes no difference. I haven't tried rolling in gear with the engine off so I'll give that a shot and see if I can verify I still hear it like others have.

I did find an exhaust leak where the two pre-cats connect to the manifold and got the bolts tightened up and sealed them with a thin layer of high temp gasket maker, did the vacuum and soap trick and can't see anymore bubbles but it made no difference to the sound. I originally found the leak when slowly pouring seafoam into the intake while running. This all started for me assuming it was lifters/injectors so I put 6oz in the crankcase and the rest when in the intake (This has quieted up the overall engine noise/rattle). Let it sit for 10 minutes and turning it back on and saw a decent amount of smoke coming from around the manifold area, I kinda wanna try again just to see if all the smoke really was coming from the pre-cat/manifold connection or to find a crack. Smoke is much easier to see and it's only $7 a can.

I would like to point out that I didn't notice this noise until relatively recently, after my most recent oil change in July. It has been steadily getting louder. Actually now that I'm thinking about it the whole motor became quite a bit noisier since then. I'm curious to know what oil you guys are running? My last change I put in 6-quarts of synthetic 10W-30 from Costco, only difference from what I would usually use is brand because it was a good deal. I might go to dino oil next and see if that shuts things up at all.

Another thing I'll add is I'm seriously under-geared for my diff/tires, 32 inch BFG and 3.07 gears (Shoulda just got stock tires lol). I really don't think this can have anything to do with it other than possibly wear at some point in the drivetrain from stress? I'm usually driving in the lower RPM range due to this, probably lugging the engine. The only reason I even mention it is becuase I'd just like to throw out as much information as possible so hopefully all of us can find the common thread that ties us all together.
I'm running generic 10w-30 from o'reilly's with a factory mopar oil filter. Although I'm due for an oil change so I'm trying to figure out what I should try.

That's interesting yours is a 2001 and has the issue. Earlier this week I thought I was on to something with the transmission tunnel.
On the earlier TJs there is a larger metal plate that fits in the floor, and then a smaller metal plat with fits in that, and finally a rubber boot for the shift lever. On the 05-06 the whole larger plate assembly was replaced with a plastic piece that has a molded in rubber boot.
pdint_2_image_50633.15719683191302.jpg
I thought for sure that's why the 05-06 manual only has the noise. That it was maybe a normal engine noise, it was just more prevalent on the manuals because we have a direct port into the engine transmission bay, whereas the autos have full steel coverings.

I ordered some butyl rubber sound deadening mat and a roller with plans to try and deaden the plastic cover and trans tunnel. That was until I remembered a while back my brother came over and drove the Jeep up and down the road and I distinctly heard the noise from the side of the road as it went past. So I cancelled my order because I don't think it was a noise that existed when the jeep was new.

At this point I'm pretty convinced it's an engine noise. I don't think your tires or gears have any thing to do with it. Mine makes the noise while sitting still in the driveway and mine came with 30" tires and 3.73 gears from the factory.

Last edited:
I'm running generic 10w-30 from o'reilly's with a factory mopar oil filter. Although I'm due for an oil change so I'm trying to figure out what I should try.

That's interesting yours is a 2001 and had the issue. Earlier this week I thought I was on to something with the transmission tunnel. On the earlier TJs there is a larger metal plate that fits in the floor, and then a smaller metal plat with fits in that, and finally a rubber boot for the shift lever. On the 05-06 the whole larger plate assembly was replaced with a plastic piece that has a molded in rubber boot. I thought for sure that's why the 05-06 manual only has the noise
I'm wondering if something thicker would help? My Jeep leaks oil like crazy, the whole time I've owned it I've run synthetic. I always have good oil levels according to the dipstick though. After reading about oils and stuff apparently the synthetic stuff finds its way out easier than conventional. I'm kinda fixated on the motor oil idea because that's the only variable that's really changed since this noise started and has been progressively getting worse. It is starting to get cold where I live now but it was still warm out when I first noticed this.

Just a quick question too, if the noise is still present with the engine off, that would totally rule out exhaust since there's no combustion right?

I'm wondering if something thicker would help? My Jeep leaks oil like crazy, the whole time I've owned it I've run synthetic. I always have good oil levels according to the dipstick though. After reading about oils and stuff apparently the synthetic stuff finds its way out easier than conventional. I'm kinda fixated on the motor oil idea because that's the only variable that's really changed since this noise started and has been progressively getting worse. It is starting to get cold where I live now but it was still warm out when I first noticed this.

Just a quick question too, if the noise is still present with the engine off, that would totally rule out exhaust since there's no combustion right?
My thinking with the oil is that almost everyone ran 10w-30 when these were new, as that's what is recommended by the manual. Why do we all the sudden need to put thicker oil in? Mine only has 86k miles on it and mazepam only has 40k or so, so I don't think they're worn out. Mine also doesn't leak a drop of oil.

There still could be an exhaust leak with the ignition off because air is still pumping through the engine as it's turned over. There's no fuel, or exhaust, but the air is still getting compressed and pumped out the exhaust.

Yeah idk, I'm just throwing stuff at the wall here.

I'm going to give that seafoam smoke out another try next week just to be 100% sure it's not an exhaust leak. I want to definitively rule that out as a culprit.

Yeah mine has 40k miles on it, see today when i went to the gym it was hardly noticeable at all I couldn't really hear it. I am also due for an oil change soon and I'm going to use 5W-30 because its about to be winter here in Jersey.

I have to say though i haven't done any really extensive checks for exhaust leaks.

On the point of bigger tires the dude at the dealership around me said the same thing to me, that it was the tires i had on which were larger and could cause more engine stress. I'm not sure if that's true. I think the stock 05's have 3.73 gears.

I drove by an 06 manual for sale yesterday on the highway, I'm tempted to ask the person if i can drive it around and see if they have it too....

Yeah mine has 40k miles on it, see today when i went to the gym it was hardly noticeable at all I couldn't really hear it. I am also due for an oil change soon and I'm going to use 5W-30 because its about to be winter here in Jersey.

I have to say though i haven't done any really extensive checks for exhaust leaks.

On the point of bigger tires the dude at the dealership around me said the same thing to me, that it was the tires i had on which were larger and could cause more engine stress. I'm not sure if that's true. I think the stock 05's have 3.73 gears.

I drove by an 06 manual for sale yesterday on the highway, I'm tempted to ask the person if i can drive it around and see if they have it too....
Do it!! We need more data!

I don't buy the tire gearing engine stress argument. It makes the noise when sitting still under no load, so it can't be caused by extra load due to gearing. And if the improper gearing caused damage to the engine due to extra load, which is now causing noise, then we should be able to repair it. Which just sends us back to square one, what is causing the noise?

Last edited:
Do it!! We need more data!

I don't buy the tire gearing engine stress argument. It makes the noise when sitting still under no load, so it can't be caused by extra load due to gearing. And if the improper gearing caused damage to the engine due to extra load, which is now causing noise, then we should be able to repair it. Which just sends us back to square one, what is causing the noise?
I agree the tire/gearing explanation unlikely but it was worth mentioning for redundancies sake. And yeah we need more data, we need to find what we all have in common and what we don't have in common with Jeeps that don't make the sound. That should point us in the right direction.

Every time I drive it's all I can hear and it's driving me crazy.

What RPM's do you guys typically cruise around at? For me around town I'm usually around 2000, sometimes lower than that in residentials at 30mph I'll be in 3rd and the RPMs are at like 1200. Highway when I can even use 5th at 70mph is like 1600 RPMs, 4th at 70mph that usually sits at like 1900.

I know people are going to tell me that I need to drive at higher RPM's than that and I'm lugging the engine and I've been adjusting that, the only reason I've normally driven like that is because the engine is so damn loud at 2000+ I figured it was too high, I've done my research and have adjusted accordingly though. I wonder if all that time driving in low RPM's has something to do with it.