Toughest paint coating?

Camhabib

TJ Enthusiast
I have a number of parts, both interior (such as the soft top hardware, door panels, etc,) and exterior (plastic fenders, bumper) that are functionally perfect, but cosmetically crap. I was going to try and restore / repaint them OEM colors, but it's been difficult to match the colors well, and the paints that do match (like SEM Sure Coat) seem pretty delicate, especially for high wear areas.

I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion for good coating I can use on a lot of these areas that'll hold up really well to wear? Looking for something like the black spray on bed liner, preferably in a spray can (but anything works) that I can use on both plastic and metal, and care more about its durability than its appearance really.

Anything that will be black, use POR15. If it’s in the sunlight use their topcoat to make it UV stable. Very, very tough coating, easy to apply. Check their web site and the Jay Leno’s Garage episode. Bulletproof stuff and easy DIY

POR15 has to be the toughest stuff I've ever used. I was astonished at how hard and tough that stuff is once it cures.

Anything that will be black, use POR15. If it’s in the sunlight use their topcoat to make it UV stable. Very, very tough coating, easy to apply. Check their web site and the Jay Leno’s Garage episode. Bulletproof stuff and easy DIY
As far as I could tell, none of the POR15 stuff is meant for plastic. I was looking to essentially coat the interior door panels and plastic fenders (both plastic), which I didn't think the POR15 would work for.

This is apparently the exact color of our agate interior plastics (the first link). It's also good for external use like on the fender flares. But I don't know that the flares are agate. I used SEM trim black a few weeks ago for flares, bumpers and external parts. With adhesion promoter first. The second link is for the SEM trim black in satin. I would recommend satin for the flares and other external parts. My Jeep is black. And the SEM trim black matches well. It's also a relatively inexpensive paint. And SEM is top of the line by most accounts.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G6ILI24/?tag=wranglerorg-20

https://repaintsupply.com/sem-39143-original-trim-black-p3637.html
Those are both excellent paints used in the professional auto detailing industry. But really it's about prep. USe grey scotchbrite pads for auto purposes with water and dawn dish detergent. Let dry completely. Then wipe with acetone or similar. Then (SEM) adhesion promoter and then light coats of paint. But MOST IMPORTANTLY follow the directions on the spray can. You'd be amazed at how different the instructions are can to can. I used to think spray it and let it dry over night and spray again. Not so. Most say spray and then wait 5 to 15 minutes and spray again. But many are different. This is crucial.

Prep is the key. It will make or break any paint job. Lots of guys have had good luck with cheaper paints like Krylon. But they did proper prep to get there. But the SEM paints will undoubtedly last longer.

From my experience SEM is great paint. And holds up better than any as far I can tell. But on the interior to match the color I'd give the Colorbond a try. Or SEM Landau Black is also supposed to be a close match to the interior. But those pics on amazon for the colorbond show a door panel that appears to be an exact match. Only reason I'm suggesting the Colorbond. It's also supposed to be great paint to though.