Tow Bar Bracket Mounting

Mariposa Mike

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm planning to install tow bar mounting brackets to the front bumper of my 2004 LJ by removing the bumper pads and drilling into the round real bumper attached to the frame. This would make them mount higher than if mounted under the bumper like a PO had planned to do. There are now metal arms with one vertical hole welded to the frame that would be for a lighter weight A frame style bar. Simple and somewhat strong but I don't like the idea of how that might torque sideways if on an incline so I would rather go with a Curt two bolt horizontal bracket. Getting around to my question, is there any issue with drilling into the hollow round bar between the frame rails and using that for support? I would rather go directly off the frame but that might not be possible with a two bolt bracket.

Again, thoughts appreciated. Maybe someone has done this before. I plan to tow behind a motor home.

I've been using a Curt tow bar with the 2 bolt mounts for around 6 years on my '03 TJ with the stock bumper. The hitch comes with some backer plates to install on the back of the bumper. I used those when I had the hitch on my YJ, but the TJ bumper is of thinner material, so when I transferred the hitch, I made new backer plates that were a bit larger and also thicker steel.
Only issue I had was because of the spacing I used to mount the brackets to the bumper, one bolt head on each side contacts the end of the frame. I just notched the end of the frame with a grinder but altering the spacing of the brackets an inch or so wider than I used would eliminate that problem. I've got maybe 18-20,000 miles on the setup and have never had a problem.

BTW, my son lives in Mariposa, well, Midpines, really. Works for the Park Service in Yosemite.

Thank you for the reply. A local RV mechanic says he has done a lot of these. He has a TJ with an after market bumper and has them on that but of course it's different. His bumper has a winch and is much more sturdy. Some single bolt mounts can be attached to the end of the frame and then tack welded to prevent rotation but I would like to use the two bolt set up for easy removal if necessary.

We have a lot of park employees living outside the park. Being in Midpines cuts their commute time. The main downside can be when HWY 140 is closed bwtn Midpines and El Portal or the park his commute can be a grueling go around via 49 and 41. The good with the bad I suppose. I wish him well though. It's a beautiful place to work.

I wouldn't drill into the round tube crossmember..just use the conventional mounting spots I believe you are overthinking this

@DaveC had some brackets bent to fit around the bumper. They are bolted so the bolts are in shear. I copied his design but with clevis Mount points. The lower mounts are for the safety cables

1643395984308.jpeg

I agree. Looks like Farmergregs too. Is yours bolted or welded? And those are some massive chunks of what looks like slate.

Thank you for the reply. A local RV mechanic says he has done a lot of these. He has a TJ with an after market bumper and has them on that but of course it's different. His bumper has a winch and is much more sturdy. Some single bolt mounts can be attached to the end of the frame and then tack welded to prevent rotation but I would like to use the two bolt set up for easy removal if necessary.

We have a lot of park employees living outside the park. Being in Midpines cuts their commute time. The main downside can be when HWY 140 is closed bwtn Midpines and El Portal or the park his commute can be a grueling go around via 49 and 41. The good with the bad I suppose. I wish him well though. It's a beautiful place to work.
When I first mounted my tow bar it was on a YJ, which has much thicker bumper material. When I swapped to the TJ, I realized the bumper material was lighter gauge, so I went to 1/4" plate for the backer plates. I like the looks of the stock bumper, sans milk jugs, and it hasn't given me any indications of failure. I live full time in my coach, but only move 2 or 3 times a year.

My kid's name is Andrew Crow. Seems like most park employees know him. He's got a nice 4x4 Toyota Tacoma, so he can usually get to work unless they close the road.

Here's a full size copy of my avatar, you can see my hitch brackets and break away switch.

20220113_142337.jpg

I'm planning to install tow bar mounting brackets to the front bumper of my 2004 LJ by removing the bumper pads and drilling into the round real bumper attached to the frame. This would make them mount higher than if mounted under the bumper like a PO had planned to do. There are now metal arms with one vertical hole welded to the frame that would be for a lighter weight A frame style bar. Simple and somewhat strong but I don't like the idea of how that might torque sideways if on an incline so I would rather go with a Curt two bolt horizontal bracket. Getting around to my question, is there any issue with drilling into the hollow round bar between the frame rails and using that for support? I would rather go directly off the frame but that might not be possible with a two bolt bracket.

Again, thoughts appreciated. Maybe someone has done this before. I plan to tow behind a motor home.
Currie makes a great mount and it comes with spacers for the stock bumper,I love it

101FE02A-8138-4A7F-B84D-030C270002B6.png

079C9562-A3D1-4C1F-9CC5-3E78E6D4E04A.png

I agree. Looks like Farmergregs too. Is yours bolted or welded? And those are some massive chunks of what looks like slate.
Bolted.
Bolted; they secure via the bolts that secure the factory recovery hooks and tie the bumper into the frame there. I believe it's granite; those were some big chunks! Fun day in a gorgeous place!

That's a really clean install Moglocker. Yours Old Crow has the type of hook up I have coming. The Reese hitch will bolt right up. I was thinking initially about getting the Blue Ox or Roadmaster quick disconnects but those would hang underneath and are, Ahem, expensive. So I like the idea having on the front of the bumper. Thanks to all for the good advice. Maybe one day there will be a winch and new bumper under the Xmas tree.

Mike, I don't know if you're on any RV forums, but I reads something a while back about Blue Ox no longer working on tow bars over 10 years old. I( didn't pay a lot of attention, but apparently at some point they can't be refurbished to factory specs.
I just check my Curt to make sure all the bolts are tight every time I use it.

Since I am new to the motor home experience I have not looked at those forums until recently. Mostly to decide what years and brands are or were the best to purchase. I've had a truck camper for many years and just sold that and the truck that was carrying it. The used Reese bar I picked up is pretty simple and does not have the telescoping arms so I don't expect much of an issue. been towing my car trailer for years without hitch issues but it remains to be seen how the towing experience will be with the LJ. I have a neighbor with a Blue Ox and will ask him if he has heard about that. Appreciate the tips and I plan to looh at RV forums in the future. I did hear about a recall on refers on one forum that looked like it might be the same model as mine but turned out it was not. Good info on those forums just like this one.

This is my setup. I have flat towed the Jeep about 25,000 miles without any problems. The tow bar is a Roadmaster Sterling and it attaches to the bumper D-ring mounts. One thing that surprises me is that the bolts connecting the extendable rods to the bumper adaptors are only about quarter inch. Everything else is very stout but it is only that pair of quarter inch bolts holding the works together. They seem like weak links but they have never failed.

16A5E8A6-97A6-465A-B073-F2CB069520A6.jpeg

Nice setup. What bumper did you go with? Picture is kinda dark but must be aftermarket. And Turbo TJ? Whatcha got in that thing? The comment on the bolts reminds me that a local RV mechanic here said be sure to go with Grade 8 bolts. I think your weak link are those bungi cords though. :) BTW, I like the cable look as opposed to the chains and no worry about sparks. Very sensitive issue around the foothills and mountains here as the chains have caused numerous wildfires.

Nice setup. What bumper did you go with? Picture is kinda dark but must be aftermarket. And Turbo TJ? Whatcha got in that thing? The comment on the bolts reminds me that a local RV mechanic here said be sure to go with Grade 8 bolts. I think your weak link are those bungi cords though. :) BTW, I like the cable look as opposed to the chains and no worry about sparks. Very sensitive issue around the foothills and mountains here as the chains have caused numerous wildfires.

It is A Smittybilt bumper. Yeah I know, made in China, bad bad bad. But it has served me well for about seven years. The cables come with the Roadmaster bar. The “bungie” is to trigger the auxiliary brake system in case of breakaway. I have a Banks Turbo installed.

It is A Smittybilt bumper. Yeah I know, made in China, bad bad bad. But it has served me well for about seven years. The cables come with the Roadmaster bar. The “bungie” is to trigger the auxiliary brake system in case of breakaway. I have a Banks Turbo installed.

What braking system do you use? I've got the Demco Stay-in-Play and really like it. Nothing extra to do except flip a switch in the Jeep and hook up the breakaway cable.