Towing Jeep TJ with RV

6. Jeep Wrangler Flat Towing:...
Don’t make the mistake of putting it into Neutral as this will prevent the transmission from being lubricated and it will burn up while being towed.
That last part isn't quite right. The purpose of placing the transmission in Park or in gear is to prevent it from spinning from parasitic drag since it is not being lubricated no matter what gear it's in. The transmission isn't lubricated at all when in Neutral, Park, or in gear at all while the Jeep is being flat towed so it has to be in gear or Park to prevent it from spinning.

Reactions: Stinger
Two questions that are going to show my ignorance regarding towing...

Does the odometer roll while the jeep is being towed?

What is the difference with having the vehicle towed in neutral vs when you're engine is running and you throw the stick in neutral to coast down a big hill? It doesn't burn up the tranny when coasting down a hill in neutral does it?

The odometer doesn't rack up miles when the key is off. There's a big difference in coasting down a hill for a mile or two vs. towing a Jeep hundreds or thousands of miles... at least enough difference that Jeep engineering wants to prevent the transmission from spinning when it's not being lubricated. I wouldn't coast down a long steep hill myself, I don't like the feeling I'm not in as much control of the Jeep. Not to mention the brakes have to be used when coasting downhill if there's much steepness to it. :)

We have a Patriot braking system. They put an additional 12v recept in the dash for the Patriot. He said the power for that recept comes from the RV wiring/power. He said to remove a battery cable while under tow. The reason I am asking the forum is because I have learned to not take everything salesmen say as gospel. If the key is off and the power for the Patriot braking system is coming from the RV, I can't see what drain would be on the Jeep battery. Thanks for the reply. Being a noobie is painful.
I plug my patriot into the 12volt cig lighter type receptacle in my jeep. I bought a brake buddy relay and hooked to my battery and ran the other end to the receptacle my RV plugs into. The RV keeps my battery charged and the 12volt keeps my Patriot working. PM me and I will refer you to some resources.

The odometer doesn't rack up miles when the key is off. There's a big difference in coasting down a hill for a mile or two vs. towing a Jeep hundreds or thousands of miles... at least enough difference that Jeep engineering wants to prevent the transmission from spinning when it's not being lubricated. I wouldn't coast down a long steep hill myself, I don't like the feeling I'm not in as much control of the Jeep. Not to mention the brakes have to be used when coasting downhill if there's much steepness to it. :)

Its also illegal in many states.

"They put an additional 12v recept in the dash for the Patriot. He said the power for that recept comes from the RV wiring/power. He said to remove a battery cable while under tow. "

I know this is an old thread, but the point is important.

Part of the reason for a towed-vehicle braking system is to provide breakaway protection.
If the braking system needs power to operate, and it is getting power only from the tow vehicle (RV), the breakaway function cannot work....

Last edited: