Towing my automatic TJ with a JLU and a 2/4 wheel dolly / trailer?

Hub kits.
Not to also forget that the factory YJ drives around all day long with the front driveshaft not spinning due to the CAD, and there are no perceivable differences in the TJ case that suggest doing the same in a TJ would cause any issues. The only differences between TJ & YJ are some gear cut differences, a slightly different input gear bearing width, true neutral shifter plate, and on the TJ and late YJ, lack of caged needle bearings on the main shaft.

Of course, if you put the YJ case in neutral to tow, the front driveshaft will spin due to lack of true neutral on the shifter plate, but that doesn't explain how the YJ front driveshaft can sit still all day long in 2WD with the CAD not engaged, and then the TJ not be okay doing the absolute same thing while towing.

Not to also forget that the factory YJ drives around all day long with the front driveshaft not spinning due to the CAD, and there are no perceivable differences in the TJ case that suggest doing the same in a TJ would cause any issues. The only differences between TJ & YJ are some gear cut differences, a slightly different input gear bearing width, true neutral shifter plate, and on the TJ and late YJ, lack of caged needle bearings on the main shaft.

Of course, if you put the YJ case in neutral to tow, the front driveshaft will spin due to lack of true neutral on the shifter plate, but that doesn't explain how the YJ front driveshaft can sit still all day long in 2WD with the CAD not engaged, and then the TJ not be okay doing the absolute same thing while towing.
It has been explained to me that the TJ case has a true neutral and the YJ case does not which is why it has the front axle disconnect. I'm not that t-case smart to know.

It has been explained to me that the TJ case has a true neutral and the YJ case does not which is why it has the front axle disconnect. I'm not that t-case smart to know.
That is correct on both counts. But what I was saying is that they both should be good to spin the rear yoke and let the front sit still (I.E. dolly towing with only one end in the air) since the YJ drives around like that in 2WD to begin with, and I have never been able to find any differences between the two suggesting that the YJ was built for that while the TJ wasn't.

It's really just supplemental info I'm adding to support your argument that the hub kits prove that the TJ t-case is fine to tow with while putting the front end up on a dolly.

It is a very common misconception that you can't dolly tow with the reason given that the t-case will not respond favorably to the rear half turning and the front half being static. That is until you point out the thousands of TJ's running around with hub kits and the front hubs unlocked with zero ill effect.
Exactly, driving with the front hubs unlocked is no different than having the front wheels up on a tow dolly. Why Jeep says not to use a tow dolly is a big mystery to me.

Not really. If he knows the proper way and says he is putting the t-case in neutral then we don't need to waste each other's time with a lengthy explanation. If he says he puts the trans in neutral then we know he doesn't know what he is doing and now he can be instructed as to the proper method. All of which is discerned with a single simple question. What are you putting in neutral?

BTW- you can stop being a dick any time, that much butt hurt doesn't look good on anyone.

I appreciate the detailed explanation, I'm fairly new to the Jeep world which is why I asked for advice... I don't want to do further damage to the new-to-me Jeep. :) I am open to learning anything I can about proper use/care/maintenance/etc. :)

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I appreciate the detailed explanation, I'm fairly new to the Jeep world which is why I asked for advice... I don't want to do further damage to the new-to-me Jeep. :) I am open to learning anything I can about proper use/care/maintenance/etc. :)
And just so you know, the transmission is placed into Park or in gear while you're flat towing the Jeep so it doesn't get spun by the front driveshaft while it's not being properly lubricated when being flat towed. And of course the tcase must be in Neutral while flat towing. :)

It is a very common misconception that you can't dolly tow with the reason given that the t-case will not respond favorably to the rear half turning and the front half being static. That is until you point out the thousands of TJ's running around with hub kits and the front hubs unlocked with zero ill effect.
My response applies to stock condition as the OP didn’t indicate that he had lock out hubs.

My response applies to stock condition as the OP didn’t indicate that he had lock out hubs.
Running hubs treats the transfer case in the same way that towing with the front wheels off the ground does. The rear shaft spins the case as the vehicle rolls, the front driveshaft stays stationary as the front wheels are carried on the dolly. A Jeep with hubs acts the same in that the front driveshaft stays still while the hubs are unlocked driving around on the street.

That was well understood but towing on a 2 wheel dolly is precisely the same as running a hub kit with the front hubs unlocked which makes the owner's manual wrong about the potential for damage.
X2. If no damage was done to my TJ's transfer case after 17 years of driving with its manual front hubs unlocked 99.99% of the time it's not gonna happen.

You could always leave it in gear to tow it like a story I read recently, just don't be surprised when your engine looks like his did :rolleyes:

1620928035175.png

For those who haven’t seen it, this Rubicon was towed in 4lo. If I recall correctly, the dealership mechanics said the customer had it towed in because it wouldn’t start. First thing they noticed was that the transfer case was in 4 lo.

Running hubs treats the transfer case in the same way that towing with the front wheels off the ground does. The rear shaft spins the case as the vehicle rolls, the front driveshaft stays stationary as the front wheels are carried on the dolly. A Jeep with hubs acts the same in that the front driveshaft stays still while the hubs are unlocked driving around on the street.

if I should decide to tow this with a two wheel dolly, should I load the rear tires on and put the transfer case in neutral? Or should I put the front tires on and put the transfer case in neutral?

For those who haven’t seen it, this Rubicon was towed in 4lo. If I recall correctly, the dealership mechanics said the customer had it towed in because it wouldn’t start. First thing they noticed was that the transfer case was in 4 lo.

Warranty Repair?

if I should decide to tow this with a two wheel dolly, should I load the rear tires on and put the transfer case in neutral? Or should I put the front tires on and put the transfer case in neutral?
Front tires need to be on the dolly. The front wheels spinning the front driveshaft will not properly operate the oil pump in the transfer case. The rear has to spin for that to happen.