Towing question

Tjcanuck97

I know that a TJ isn't supposed to tow more than 1500 lbs. My question is, if I wanted to tow a small trailer (1500 lbs. or less), can I use a bumper with a receiver hitch built into it (i.e. Savvy), or do I need a separate receiver hitch system that attaches somewhere else?

TJs with the 4.0L engine all have a 2,000 lb. tow rating, the TJ with the 2.5L engine and 5-speed transmission has a 2,000 lb. tow rating (officially anyway), only the TJ with the 2.5L engine and 3-speed automatic has a 1500 lb. tow rating.

A bumper with an integrated receiver hitch is fine, that's what I use. I would however also add a frame tie-in bracket that provides a stronger connection between the bumper and frame. Like this...

RH-2001-TJ-2.jpg

Reactions: Sasquatchewan
TJs with the 4.0L engine all have a 2,000 lb. tow rating, the TJ with the 2.5L engine and 5-speed transmission has a 2,000 lb. tow rating (officially anyway), only the TJ with the 2.5L engine and 3-speed automatic has a 1500 lb. tow rating.

A bumper with an integrated receiver hitch is fine, that's what I use. I would however also add a frame tie-in bracket that provides a stronger connection between the bumper and frame. Like this...

View attachment 1374

Where did you get those Jerry? I have a receiver hitch bumper, but those brackets look like a nice idea to strengthen things up.

Those are some nice looking brace brackets. My rear tow hooks are bolted to the frame through the bottom frame holes, so I would have to do a little fiddling to get them to work. They do look solid though.