Toyota lights on your TJ! Cheap, quality LED alternative

I REALLY liked the IPFs when I had them in my jk. Let’s see how these are. I like the bright white color of the LEDs but not the pattern of the ones i have.

And this is the second set of LEDs since the summer.
Several years ago when I owned a JK I installed a used set of IPFs in that Jeep and their performance were quite good, but IF I had known about the Koito's I would have purchased them instead. I paid less for Toyota's kit than I did for the used IPFs.

Funny this thread popped up today. I just installed these and planned to do a write up on the process.
Originally installed a set of Hella E codes with 60/55W and an aftermarket harness. I swapped in one Koito light with a 60/55W and the visual difference is quite noticeable with beam cutoff and the beam strength. After swapping in the other Koito light and harness; I gave the Hella housings and bulbs to a friend that owns a JK.

Several years ago when I owned a JK I installed a used set of IPFs in that Jeep and their performance were quite good, but IF I had known about the Koito's I would have purchased them instead. I paid less for Toyota's kit than I did for the used IPFs.
I'll agree whole heartedly...

Part of the problem is they sold you blue coated bulbs. Halogens can be driven up to to something like 3,600 which is still yellowish and 4,000 is about ideal for maximum distance vision with a headlight for a human eye. Plus all the kiddies want white or blue so manufacturers put blue filters on them to make the light whiter. Its whiter light but the filter is just just reducing output by removing part of the spectrum so we cant see as far as with the same 100/80 that doesn't have the stupid blue coating.
Yeah I just went with regular hella 80/100s and it's way better.

just waiting on a day off to get these installed. have to be a lot better than the stock sealed beams. thanks @Longwhitejeep for posting this. been lookin for an alternative to stock sealed beams but, not a fan of the white/blue leds on newer vehicles. they make my eyes hurt after lasik eye surgery on top of them blinding me.

I didn’t see this thread until I had already done the install. I had been googling 7” light options and came across an FJ forum.
All good but you still posted in this thread before creating a new one.

I never thought this would end up being an 11 pager on an h4 headlight kit.

what-the-hell-what-the-hell-is-wrong-with-you-people.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Lax22 and PRNDL
All good but you still posted in this thread before creating a new one.

I never thought this would end up being an 11 pager on an h4 headlight kit.

View attachment 288635
You think this is bad, look at the progress of the compressed air tank thread in just one day 🤣
200.gif

So I have about a month of seat time with these headlights now and a little less since I installed the Hella 80/100 bulbs. Low beams are nothing special, but they do have a nice crisp cutoff and I like them. High beams are another story. I don't think I've ever been able to see so good before. The high beams are impressive to say the least.

So I have about a month of seat time with these headlights now and a little less since I installed the Hella 80/100 bulbs. Low beams are nothing special, but they do have a nice crisp cutoff and I like them. High beams are another story. I don't think I've ever been able to see so good before. The high beams are impressive to say the least.
Goad they are working good for you. Low beams had a much better cutoff than the Hella e codes I was previously running.

Reactions: Blondie70
I’ve read all 11 pages of this since it was linked to a thread I asked about my led lights. Not sure how to link my post or I would. Anyway, thinking about ordering these lights to replace my sometimes faltering led ones. Are there any negatives or regrets about buying the H4 lights? All of my normal driving is well within lighted city streets and if not, my LJ isn’t capable of overdriving any normal headlights.

I have zero regrets. Been running these few a month or two with the 100/80’s but had kept the TruckLite knockoffs just in case I felt the need to go back. Time to get rid of the LEDs.. I am happy with these!

Sort of related.. when I did the TruckLite knockoffs I painted the headlight trim rings black. I figured the modern blacked out look went with the modern LED lights. I just went back to the chrome trim rings. Still prefer the period correct look.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
I’ve read all 11 pages of this since it was linked to a thread I asked about my led lights. Not sure how to link my post or I would. Anyway, thinking about ordering these lights to replace my sometimes faltering led ones. Are there any negatives or regrets about buying the H4 lights? All of my normal driving is well within lighted city streets and if not, my LJ isn’t capable of overdriving any normal headlights.
I've never had LED's to compare too but I have zero regrets or negatives about the entire kit. I am also running the hella 80/100 bulbs. Just be sure to aim them after install.

Reactions: NOTNSUV
The bulbs that come with the kit are just lower wattage but they still produce a good pattern. I have been running these for a while now and have no regrets. I don't turn on my headlights anymore thinking these are terrible like I did with my stock sealed beams.

Plus I like the look better and the glass on these are very thick.

Has anyone considered applying a protection film to the glass housing (like X-Pel or Lamin-X).

Had it on my IPFs and a few other vehicles and it's good piece of mind. I have a sheet left over from prior projects and am going to cut it for the headlights and driving lights. Hopefully prevent chips and cracks.