Toyota lights on your TJ! Cheap, quality LED alternative

I installed these lights a few days ago. I replaced some Amazon led lights. These aren’t a white light but a really great light. Really hard to beat for the price.

Reactions: steelhd
Has anyone considered applying a protection film to the glass housing (like X-Pel or Lamin-X).

Had it on my IPFs and a few other vehicles and it's good piece of mind. I have a sheet left over from prior projects and am going to cut it for the headlights and driving lights. Hopefully prevent chips and cracks.
I doubt film could change the outcome if something big or fast enough to break the lens hit them. Maybe it would prevent minor cosmetic blemishes but ... <shrug>

Reactions: MikekiM
My LED headlights aren't bright enough for me. Maybe I'll check into these. :unsure:
Rubi lights 3.png

Reactions: Gollywomper
I just ditched my truck lights knockoffs for these + 80/100w bulbs. The truck lights were brighter for sure, but these are certainly bright enough with a great cut off. I just thought the truck lights looked dumb during the day.

I just ditched my truck lights knockoffs for these + 80/100w bulbs. The truck lights were brighter for sure, but these are certainly bright enough with a great cut off. I just thought the truck lights looked dumb during the day.
Much prefer the H4s.

I doubt film could change the outcome if something big or fast enough to break the lens hit them. Maybe it would prevent minor cosmetic blemishes but ... <shrug>
X-Pel is pretty robust stuff. A good 1/8" thick.

Just for grins, I measured the voltage difference between the stock wiring and the Yota harness at the light plug.
The gain wasn't as dramatic as the 2-3v increase you see with 60s vehicles, but still measurable.
Original wiring was 13.5v, Yota harness 14.3v.
I'd call that worth it.

Turns out I know a guy at my local Toyota dealership. 38.39 plus tax. I should have them Wednesday. Bulbs are backordered at qtec. Not sure on those. They've been backing up the ship date every few days since I ordered them 🤞🏻

Reactions: Longwhitejeep
These are crazy cheap and truly a much better light pattern than most other options up to 10x the price.

It also cracks me up that Daniel stern sells them for like $180 a pair.

Anyone running the 90/130 bulbs?
What bulbs seem to give the whitest light?
All halogen bulbs will have a color temperature less than 4000K which is still a bit yellowish (4,000K is ideal for human vision). Some halogen bulbs will have a blue coating to make them look whiter (still less than 4000K) for people with your preference but even though the light looks "better" the performance of the bulb, and the detail they reveal to the eye , is worse. Xenon bulbs can run from something like 4200K to 8000K. 5000 is considered "daylight". 8000K is very, very, stupid blue.

Edit - there are only three things a 80/100 or 90/130 bulb will do for you. They give you more of the same color temperature light, they shorten bulb life, and they draw more power. The brighter the bulb the shorter the life and re higher demand on your wiring. Nothing wrong with the tradeoff to have brighter bulbs as long as you understand the need to upgrade wiring and replace bulbs more often.

Last edited:
Anyone running the 90/130 bulbs?
What bulbs seem to give the whitest light?
For me it's not a question of white, but bright. I've had LEDs which were WHITE, but I couldn't see with them. The 100/80 watt bulbs are not as white, but are brighter, which I can see. Not high dollar, but Hellas. As an aside, the are the same color as my 55 watt cornering and driving lights. That makes it easier to see, too.

A little bulb comparison tech for the thread because some people have asked about different bulbs and I was curious myself. I ordered these 2 off Amazon and pattern pictures below on the same road in roughly the same place. I also correctly adjusted my headlights tonight as they were pointing a bit high before. It was a foggy, misty night so decent testing for some bulbs. I am getting really good at swapping these bulbs now.

The three bulbs are the
- Osram Night breaker.
-Tungsram Nighthawk xenon (extra points for a cool name)
- Hella 100/80w I have been running.

20211230_213705.jpg

20211230_213716.jpg

- Osram Night Breaker.
I liked these the least. Just didn’t seem as bright or as usable of a light compared with the Hella or the Tungsram. They are a touch whiter and do have more blue coating on the bulb. Sending them back to Bezos. These were $22.

20211230_203743.jpg

20211230_203747.jpg

Tungsram Nighthawk pattern was very similar to the Hella 100/80w with a 60/55w lower wattage. If I didn't already have the Hellas I would run these. Or if I didn't have the wiring upgraded with the Toyota kit to run the higher wattage Hella bulbs. But these were just over double cost of Hella at $32

20211230_203014.jpg

20211230_203018.jpg

Hella 100/80w. Good pattern IMO with these lenses with a nice sharp cutoff. I'm keeping these until they quit working. They are $17 on Amazon but a little cheaper elsewhere and you can order just one.

20211230_204743.jpg

20211230_204748.jpg

There isn't a huge difference between the 3 of these honestly, especially the Tungsram and the Hella. I drove around on some very dark back roads comparing the Hella and Tungsram as they were similar. But the Hella is about half the cost and works just fine. The Tungsram may last longer with the lower wattage but I can't comment on that yet.

Really happy with the setup though overall especially after the last adjustment.

Last edited:
I wonder how available they will be when its time to replace bulbs. Was looking online for color temperature and it doesn't look like Tungsram even acknowledges they exist. Either that or I am screwing something up.
https://automotive.tungsram.com/en/products
https://automotive.tungsram.com/en/products/for-passenger-cars
Looks like maybe they are changing the name or something. GE is the North American equivalent but looks like the GE Nighthawk is hard to find. Either way I thought the cheaper Hella bulb was just as good.

One of the reasons I run the Hella 100/80s is that Quadratec has them on sale a lot. Several times that I've ordered from them, I've been just a couple bucks from free shipping. Adding a pair of bulbs for only about $2 each raised the cost just enough so that I got free shipping.
Right now I have a half dozen of the things.

I found that the pair of black aftermarket headlight retainer rings that I got off of Amazon do not fit over the Toyota headlight shells. Not even close. I had one stock ring, and it fit fine. (My other one had broken one of the spot welds and I had thrown it away.)

A reviewer on Amazon had the same issue with his Truck LED headlights, and wrote that the Omix-Ada 12420.02 rings fit those fine. I'm going to order one of them and see if that's the case with the Toyota headlights.