Toyota lights on your TJ! Cheap, quality LED alternative

I finally got mine installed and took pictures of the full install

First, you can pull back the rubber and get access to the connector. Take a picture of the color order just in case. Then use a shim of some form(I used an ice pick) to release the ends from the connector for easier running.
PXL_20220107_221517432.MP.jpg PXL_20220107_222404392.MP.jpg

I then followed the wiring harness for the stock headlights and ran it through the grill. If I remember correctly the harness changes in the later years.
PXL_20220107_222933816.MP.jpg
PXL_20220107_223044566.jpg

Then for getting it through the other side I found a ziptie super helpful. After I got it through I fangled it up over the light for a straighter run
PXL_20220107_223256485.jpg
PXL_20220107_223316458.jpg
PXL_20220107_223455730.jpg

Go back to your picture of the wire orders and reassemble
PXL_20220107_223911417.jpg

I then ran a ziptie through the back of both fuses and turned them on another ziptie.
PXL_20220107_225648403.jpg

Then just bundled/routed the wires. Within the next few weeks I will cut them down to shorter lengths to make it more manageable and clean up the passenger side of the bay

PXL_20220107_230807237.jpg
PXL_20220107_230811333.jpg

Disclaimer: I am not an electrician. I don't claim to be one. I don't even play one on TV.

Nice work @LittleTankTJ. I was able to route mine in a similar way but along the bottom of thr grill. I didn’t remove the boot though.

If you remove the boot just be careful when routing it. It's tight on the driver side and it makes it easier to bend those connections.

Nice work @LittleTankTJ. I was able to route mine in a similar way but along the bottom of thr grill. I didn’t remove the boot though.

If you remove the boot just be careful when routing it. It's tight on the driver side and it makes it easier to bend those connections.

Yup! It wasn't too bad. It 100% would have been easier if I took the aiming bracket off. But that's for when I redo it and replace the original harness.

Reactions: Longwhitejeep
Is someone has a harness they are not using, I would like the opportunity to buy it. I want to look at how it’s built and if I could use it on my charger. Tim
I only paid $43 for my kit from the Toyota dealer. At that price, why wouldn't you just buy the whole kit? You even have an extra set of headlights. The wiring harness is very nice and I may add it in later. Just don't have the motivation right now.

I only paid $43 for my kit from the Toyota dealer. At that price, why wouldn't you just buy the whole kit? You even have an extra set of headlights. The wiring harness is very nice and I may add it in later. Just don't have the motivation right now.
My thoughts exactly. A lot of stand alone harnesses that are this quality are over double the entire headlight kit.

I have tried that Amazon kit before. It's hot garbage. I received a refund on I after I reached out to them saying their claimed 14 gauged wire was just 18 gauge with very thick insulation with photos. Refunded and let me keep the harness but I threw it out.

You can piece together your own quality harness but it will cost more than $50.

Reactions: Bargain Box
I received the Omix-Ada headlight retainer ring last week, and finished up my install of the Toyota headlights and harness over the weekend. I switched the Hella 100/80WT H4 bulbs from my Hella E-code housings as well. I like these bulbs because they give off a warm, slightly yellowish light that works well in rain and fog. This morning was my first chance to try them out.

I'm really impressed with the quality of the harness. It seems to be of better quality and layout than the one from ksuspension. The one thing I like better on the harness from ksuspension is that the headlight plugs themselves are ceramic, while the Yota's are a hard rubber. With the higher wattage bulbs I'm using, it's something that I'll keep an eye on.

Initially, my totally subjective feeling is that the light pattern of the Yota housings is very similar to the pattern of the Hella housings. Both have very good cut-off and focus, so I don't expect to be on the receiving end of opposing drivers getting annoyed and flashing me to turn them down. I didn't with the Hella housings. I only had the one trip to work this morning, and I need to make some slight adjustments, so we'll see how they do once I get them dialed.

I'm so glad I ran across this thread. I finally got the kit installed tonight and it's amazing being able to see the road at night now. And the harness wasn't too bad either. I still need to aim them but a very great quality of life upgrade. The difference is night and day. It's especially great that I won't have to repeat the same experience I had of driving basically blind from Salt Lake City down to the Winter 4x4 Jamboree at night this past weekend which made for some stressful driving.

I'm so glad I ran across this thread. I finally got the kit installed tonight and it's amazing being able to see the road at night now. And the harness wasn't too bad either. I still need to aim them but a very great quality of life upgrade. The difference is night and day. It's especially great that I won't have to repeat the same experience I had of driving basically blind from Salt Lake City down to the Winter 4x4 Jamboree at night this past weekend which made for some stressful driving.

This mod is pretty fantastic for the price. I installed it last week as well.
Although my Jeep hasn't been started in nearly 7 years, when I DO get it running, I'll have some decent lights.