Toyota lights on your TJ! Cheap, quality LED alternative

That explains a lot then, halogens will never be an equal or even decent replacement for LED's, no comparison.
That is why I said in the first sentence and the title of the thread that they are a nice alternative to LED headlights. Also the several photos show h4 bulbs and I mentioned h4 bulbs a few times. I tried a set of trucklite led's in this jeep that I borrowed from a friend and I just didn't like the look though the light output was very nice. I am not a fan of the super bright white light LED's emit.

Will beamtech led fit these?
Any h4 bulb should fit. The Ih8mud thread I linked he tests several different bulbs and one led bulb. The best pattern actually seemed to be the stock Koito bulb based on the photos. The LED bulbs in an h4 housing tend to throw light all over the place. I ran an LED bulb in a square h4 housing for a while on an old pickup and the pattern was pretty crummy. But I have not personally tested an H4 LED replacement bulb in these housings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba
Any h4 bulb should fit. The Ih8mud thread I linked he tests several different bulbs and on led bulb. The best pattern actually seemed to be the stock Koito bulb based on the photos. The LED bulbs in an h4 housing tend to throw light all over the place. I ran an LED bulb in a square h4 housing for a while on an old pickup and the pattern was pretty crummy. But I have not personally tested an H4 LED replacement bulb in these housings.
Thanks

I agree with the OP that LED’s just look “off” on a TJ. And my wife thanks you for putting something on the board that I didn’t know I needed! 😂😂😂

In regards to the wiring harness that comes with this kit: I’m not going to trust those $20 harnesses to last. If Toyota is selling this kit though, I imagine it’s just as good as the ABR M002 harness that costs $140.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/97018_2430.htm
I think the harness that comes with this kit is nice. It definitely has heavier gauge wire for the hot feeds to the sockets and to the battery and smaller gauge wire for the signal wire feeds. Koito is OEM for a lot of Japanese manufacturers. So I would think the quality is there. It certainly seems to be. The main power wire does seem to be at least 14 gauge.

I think that ARB is still a good harness but I am not sure how heavy the wire is on the ARB harness.

Attached a picture of the relay they use which seem to be an OEM relay used by Koito. It's hard to find relays not made in China anymore.

20210709_180451.jpg

You cant even find H4 housings for that cheap! I'm assuming that there's no need for all the wiring when implementing in a TJ though, correct?
Correct. The stock TJ sealed beam headlamp has the same 3-prong connection as an H4 bulb so the headlamps and H4 bulbs are plug-n-play.

I'm not sure how the wiring harness would be connected but the harness itself is not necessary unless you want battery power to the bulbs. With the stock setup, power to the headlamps goes through the multifunction switch. Bypassing the multifunction switch allows you to run higher wattage bulbs without melting the switch.

Reactions: NOTNSUV
Awesome find @Longwhitejeep thanks for posting! The very first mod I did to my TJ was install relays, heavier wire, Cibie H4 housings, and Osram 130% output bulbs. It makes a huge difference and I'll put my halogen setup against any LED setup out there. The cut off is great, output is great, and it looks "right" on a Jeep.

Im going to order this Toyota setup for my 1978 GMC motorhome that needs an upgrade.

Reactions: DuvelSteve
I am not a fan of the super bright white light LED's emit.
Same here. I originally had two LED spots and a LED bar on the front of The Muddog, and it made everything look like an overexposed picture. I replaced them with two pair of halogen lights and found that I could see better with them.
I got a pair of Busdepot H-4 housings for the headlights, added 100\ 80 watt bulbs and the combination works well for me.

Anyone have a good link to order them online?
Was also gonna ask. I was coming up with $70 w/ shipping were I found them. @ExitLeft?

Closest dealership is about a hour away. I guess I could call and order then pickup next time I'm over that way. Never bought from a dealership before though.

Last edited: