Toyota lights on your TJ! Cheap, quality LED alternative

I would stay with the 100/80 bulbs; they are more than sufficient for highways and residential streets.

I'm still searching for a whiter bulb. I don't want a LED housing, but want the 6000k white color and retro look. The 130/90 would do nothing to help with temperature, I know. Just trying to get the max out of the lighting.

Anyone know if these are DOT approved? I've seen information on the Toyota website that they are but I don't see how they can be with the "e6" on the lens.

Anyone know if these are DOT approved? I've seen information on the Toyota website that they are but I don't see how they can be with the "e6" on the lens.
My inspection consist of them turning the lights on and off so I didn't even look into it. Especially since there are people riding around with blue headlights and LEDs so bright I'm blinded. Not sure how strict your state is.

I’ve passed inspection with them if that’s of any value To you.

I just replaced these lights with a set of Holley RetroBright LEDs.

Has anyone compared these to the trucklite knockoffs? Seems like alot of work and money for something that is "maybe" a little better? Maybe these heat up in the winter so snow stays off or something?

I paid $65 for my trucklite knockoffs. They may be a bit more now. $80?

They were a direct replacement. I didn't even have to align them. Took maybe 15 minutes? And I couldn't be happier with them.

Except for maybe snow. Because the trucklites are led and don't heat up. I think I'd be way happier with the direct replacement trucklight knockoffs.

Just my 2 cents.

Has anyone compared these to the trucklite knockoffs? Seems like alot of work and money for something that is "maybe" a little better? Maybe these heat up in the winter so snow stays off or something?

They were a direct replacement. I didn't even have to align them. Took maybe 15 minutes? And I couldn't be happier with them.

Except for maybe snow. Because the trucklites are led and don't heat up. I think I'd be way happier with the direct replacement trucklight knockoffs.

Just my 2 cents.

Well I will take a Toyota light over a Chinese led any day…

Reactions: MaximusLJR06
I'm still searching for a whiter bulb. I don't want a LED housing, but want the 6000k white color and retro look. The 130/90 would do nothing to help with temperature, I know. Just trying to get the max out of the lighting.
You can't get there with halogen and you can't retrofit a halogen reflector with anything that does without screwing up the light pattern and throwing garbage light everywhere.

Besides, about 5000k or a little more is what works best for headlights. The higher you get over 5000K (or a little higher) the better we think we can see but its a trick our minds play on us. The increased blue light causes glare and even though we perceive it as better we actually see less.

You can't get there with halogen and you can't retrofit a halogen reflector with anything that does without screwing up the light pattern and throwing garbage light everywhere.

Besides, about 5000k or a little more is what works best for headlights. The higher you get over 5000K (or a little higher) the better we think we can see but its a trick our minds play on us. The increased blue light causes glare and even though we perceive it as better we actually see less.

That's why I stick with 100/ 80 Halogens.

Reactions: mastergunnera8

Just my 2 cents.

I have the truck lite knock offs installed in my Unlimited. I don't like them, and I am going to install the Toyotas tomorrow so I will be able to compare the two.

Just my 2 cents.

I did that comparison.. it’s somewhere in this thread.

The Amazon TruckLite knockoffs were the second set of LEDs I tried. Got rid of them in a few months. The pattern was a big smile with a hot spot that illuminated straight up to light the underside of overhanging trees about twenty feet ahead of the jeep. It was horribly annoying. I hated the look of them as well. They look like bug eyes which, IMHO are out of place on a classic vehicle. I sold them for the Koito/Toyo H4’s and with the 100/80 bulbs was happy for a while.

I just replaced these H4’s with what I am sure will be keepers….

I did that comparison.. it’s somewhere in this thread.

The Amazon TruckLite knockoffs were the second set of LEDs I tried. Got rid of them in a few months. The pattern was a big smile with a hot spot that illuminated straight up to light the underside of overhanging trees about twenty feet ahead of the jeep. It was horribly annoying. I hated the look of them as well. They look like bug eyes which, IMHO are out of place on a classic vehicle. I sold them for the Koito/Toyo H4’s and with the 100/80 bulbs was happy for a while.

I just replaced these H4’s with what I am sure will be keepers….

I bought mine on ebay. And the pattern is not like that at all. Perfect panorama. Or whatever you'd call a normal pattern.

I agree with you about normal headlights looking better on a classic jeep. But with that much improved performance. And for only $65. I can live with the look.

Idk how much these toyota lights cost at the end of the day. But real trucklites are $300 iirc. I have way more important things to upgrade. I'd rather spend $300 on better brakes. Or towards better tires.

Again, just my two cents. I think I'm done spending loads of money on upgrades. And am more in the camp of "drive it and enjoy it". My fantasies about 3 inch lifts and big bumpers and jerry can mounts are over. I just want a nice stock jeep tj. With money spent on replacing old parts with new ones. For reliability sake. I'm more concerned with breaking down. Than rock crawling that extra 1 inch.

Not to mention buying parts now. That might be unobtainium later.

I bought mine on ebay. And the pattern is not like that at all. Perfect panorama. Or whatever you'd call a normal pattern.

I agree with you about normal headlights looking better on a classic jeep. But with that much improved performance. And for only $65. I can live with the look.

Idk how much these toyota lights cost at the end of the day. But real trucklites are $300 iirc. I have way more important things to upgrade. I'd rather spend $300 on better brakes. Or towards better tires.

Again, just my two cents. I think I'm done spending loads of money on upgrades. And am more in the camp of "drive it and enjoy it". My fantasies about 3 inch lifts and big bumpers and jerry can mounts are over. I just want a nice stock jeep tj. With money spent on replacing old parts with new ones. For reliability sake. I'm more concerned with breaking down. Than rock crawling that extra 1 inch.

Not to mention buying parts now. That might be unobtainium later.

I bought the ones that are frequently recommended by forum members. Maybe I got a bad batch. Don’t know. The pair I had sucked.

Everyone has different priorities. Some folks drop their wallet on stereo gear, others on VHT spray tint and nasty looking grills that serve no purpose. To each his own.

I drive my TJ every day and love it.

I bought the ones that are frequently recommended by forum members. Maybe I got a bad batch. Don’t know. The pair I had sucked.

Everyone has different priorities. Some folks drop their wallet on stereo gear, others on VHT spray tint and nasty looking grills that serve no purpose. To each his own.

"Everyone has different priorities. Some folks drop their wallet on stereo gear, others on VHT spray tint and nasty looking grills that serve no purpose. To each his own."

Lmao! 😂🤣😂🤣 So true!!

Reactions: MikekiM

If there is a bad batch, you are not the only one who got it. Other than visibility improvement over stock i have nothing good to say about them.

If there is a bad batch, you are not the only one who got it. Other than visibility improvement over stock i have nothing good to say about them.

My knockoffs are brutal too. I have JW Speakers on my TJ and there is an ocean of difference in the knockoffs and JWs.

I drive backroads late at night for my job. Deer jumping out everywhere. Love my super bright white Chinese LED lights. Thanks Hunter. :cool:
Rubi lights 3.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: SkylinesSuck

My knockoffs are brutal too. I have JW Speakers on my TJ and there is an ocean of difference in the knockoffs and JWs.

I really don't think I got a bad batch.. I was being considerate. The lights I had absolutely sucked. Made me dizzy.