Toyota lights on your TJ! Cheap, quality LED alternative

Longwhitejeep

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
If anyone is looking for a nice alternative to LEDs and is considering the h4 route, Toyota sells a complete h4 conversion kit directly from the dealer. Part number 81110-60P70. It comes with a very nice harness with weather pack fuse holders and room for a spare fuse within the weather pack. A bag a zip ties, dielectric grease, instructions and an apology letter from Toyota saying they are sorry the crap sealed beams you thought you ordered are being replaced with these brighter h4 conversion beams. All this for the low price of $64 usd shipped to your door. My local dealer had it in stock for $58 but Ihad already ordered from their online site. This is cheaper than the hella ecodes which are typically $80 for just housings. These Koitos housings are suppose to have a better pattern as well.

I just stumbled upon this part number going down an h4 conversion black hole, finding a thread on ih8mud linked here with some nice beam pattern photos. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj40-head-light-upgrade-led-bulbs.1173612/page-3

Daniel Stern also sells these koito housings on his site for $90 and claims he likes pattern as much as Cibies e ecodes which are more expensive and harder to find. https://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

I can't believe you get all this for the price and quality.

I will try and post some light pattern photos tonight. Seams like a nice cheap alternative to led lights. I like the original look of the h4s vs the LEDs personally on the TJ. I currently have hella ecodes but have never been satisfied with the beam pattern though they are better than stock. I just wanted to pass what seems like a nice conversion kit, along to others. 20210709_103738.jpg20210709_103749.jpg20210709_103756.jpg

20210709_103802.jpg

20210709_103809.jpg

20210709_103822.jpg

20210709_103848.jpg

20210709_104114.jpg

20210709_104236.jpg

Last edited:
If anyone is looking for a nice alternative to LEDs and is considering the h4 route, Toyota sells a complete h4 conversion kit directly from the dealer. Part number 8110-60P70. It comes with a very nice harness with weather pack fuse holders and room for a spare fuse within the weather pack. A bag a zip ties, dielectric grease, instructions and an apology letter from Toyota saying they are sorry the crap sealed beams you thought you ordered are being replaced with these brighter h4 conversion beams. All this for the low price of $64 usd shipped to your door. My local dealer had it in stock for $58 but Ihad already ordered from their online site. This is cheaper than the hella ecodes which are typically $80 for just housings. These Koitos housings are suppose to have a better pattern as well.

I just stumbled upon this part number going down an h4 conversion black hole, finding a thread on ih8mud linked here with some nice beam pattern photos. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj40-head-light-upgrade-led-bulbs.1173612/page-3

Daniel Stern also sells these koito housings on his site for $90 and claims he likes pattern as much as Cibies e ecodes which are more expensive and harder to find. https://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

I can't believe you get all this for the price and quality.

I will try and post some light pattern photos tonight. Seams like a nice cheap alternative to led lights. I like the original look of the h4s vs the LEDs personally on the TJ. I currently have hella ecodes but have never been satisfied with the beam pattern though they are better than stock. I just wanted to pass what seems like a nice conversion kit, along to others. View attachment 264247View attachment 264248View attachment 264249

View attachment 264250

View attachment 264252

View attachment 264253

View attachment 264254

View attachment 264255

View attachment 264256

Thanks, ordered at $43 from my local dealer! And you're missing a digit in the part number. In case anyone is looking for it online, it's 81110-60P70.

Contrary to what my TJ was purchased for, it has become my daily driver. 50 miles round trip to work everyday. Well last night I was driving home at midnight through some serious Elsa-related rain and all I can say is: WOW, DO THESE OEM HEADLIGHTS SUCK! Wind driven rain, darkness, and my ever aging eyes did not make for a very confident drive home on the Pennsylvania Turnpike last night. On my agenda for today was to find some replacement headlights for the TJ and I come across this post. Never occurred to me to use a Toyota part, but if it fits and it's bright I'm all for it. And the price is almost too good to be true. I found the kit online for only $56.24 shipped to my door so I figured, why not. Ordered part number 8111060P70 from an online Toyota dealer and took a $56 chance. I half expect only one head light housing to be in the box when it arrives. LOL We'll see what shows up.

You cant even find H4 housings for that cheap! I'm assuming that there's no need for all the wiring when implementing in a TJ though, correct?

Glad it helped you out! Updated the part number. I am into Toyota's too so I stumbled on koito housings on Daniel Sterns sight so I started researching those finding the ih8mud thread above.

I can say the housings themselves seem to be much higher quality than the hella e codes. The bulb is secured with twist lock rather than the wire style that is typical for h4 housings. The lenses are thicker and the rubber boot seems nicer. To be honest I don't know how or why this kit is such a bargain. I need it to get dark here to test them.

I don't think a tj would need the harness unless you want to run higher wattage bulbs. The harness seems nice though so I plan to run it. Hell the cheapest h4 harness I can find on Amazon is nearly half the cost of this entire kit.

Photo comparison between the hella e code and the koito e codes. Hella is on the right, toyota/koito housing on the left.

20210709_152334.jpg

20210709_152401.jpg

20210709_152409.jpg

20210709_152406.jpg

20210709_152427.jpg

Last edited:
I stumbled onto a pair of LNIB E-code Hellas for $20/both, put LEDs in them, am very happy, blah, blah, blah. BUT, if I hadn't, I'd be all over these. The E-code Hellas cost $40 or more per side if you have to pay full buck for them. Cool find!

Longwhitejeep. Great find, very interesting. What vehicle did Toyo intend these for, can't think of anything, except really old, using 7" rounds? Thanks

Install pics! I still need to put the harness in but you can run the housings without the harness of you keep the same wattage bulbs. I have some 100w I might try as well once the new harness is in. The kit comes with instructions.

The lights are for an fj40. So they are now releasing this h4 kit for the fj40 land cruiser which is basically the Japanese version of the Jeep. That is the nice thing about the harness. It is long enough to reach the battery and the headlights since the fj40 battery and light placement is similar to the TJ.

Install photos attached and my Toyota photo bombing. I like the look of these better than the hella lights as well. If the pattern is good I will probably get another kit for backup housings.

20210709_155855.jpg

20210709_155905.jpg

20210709_155843.jpg

Leave it to someone on this forum to post up parts I didn't know I needed.😁 I haven't driven my Jeep at night in several years so I'm not entirely sure if the old headlights even work. For $44 this looks like a good mod and puts the headlights in a top spot on my to do list of Jeep projects. Thanks for posting!

If these work well, it would be a very reasonably priced upgrade. I have Cibie lenses with Osram bulbs already, but this harness looks very nice.

Install pics! I still need to put the harness in but you can run the housings without the harness of you keep the same wattage bulbs. I have some 100w I might try as well once the new harness is in. The kit comes with instructions.

The lights are for an fj40. So they are now releasing this h4 kit for the fj40 land cruiser which is basically the Japanese version of the Jeep. That is the nice thing about the harness. It is long enough to reach the battery and the headlights since the fj40 battery and light placement is similar to the TJ.

Install photos attached and my Toyota photo bombing. I like the look of these better than the hella lights as well. If the pattern is good I will probably get another kit for backup housings.

View attachment 264296

View attachment 264297

View attachment 264298

SO if you use the bulbs it comes with its just plug and play?

I called my local dealership and they guy said no way these are to cheap to be a full kit. LOL

So are these Halogen or LED? From the letter it seems like they're Halogen, is this correct?
Big difference.

yes they will work if you just remove your old housings and install these new ones. I don't think I would run higher wattage bulbs without the harness installed. Installing the harness is an add on so no cutting of your factory harness is required for these h4 style harnesses.

I wanted the Cibie's after not being satisfied with the hella e codes fully but couldn't find them reasonably priced in the U.S., though they are now on amazon for $130 a pair. After researching these Koito housings though it seems they are an equivalent to the Cibie's with a very high build quality.

The Ih8mud thread has some night pattern photos after install on an fj40 which after seeing them, lead me to make the purchase. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj40-head-light-upgrade-led-bulbs.1173612/page-3

Reactions: Blondie70
That explains a lot then, halogens will never be an equal or even decent replacement for LED's, no comparison.

Reactions: Zorba