TPS issue

Nova

Hello, I am new to this Jeep community. I recently just bought a 98 wrangler with a 2.5 as a fixer upper and I noticed the check engine light had recently come on. I ran the codes to find out it was the TPS so I replaced the sensor (I did not calibrate) and the light turned off for a bit but it came back on with the same issue. As I accelerate at times it jolts almost as if it lags in power for a bit but if I press the throttle a tad bit harder it stops but inevitably comes back when I’m cruising at a constant speed. I was wondering wether I need to calibrate the sensor or could there be something else wrong? And if so how would I go about calibrating it?

What brand of replacement sensor did you use?

There is no way (or need) to calibrate the sensor. However, the ONLY replacement sensors you should ever use in these vehicles is OE Mopar sensors. Anything other than that, and you're almost guaranteed to have issues.

So if you replaced it with a cheap local auto part store brand, that could very well likely be your issue.

Reactions: Leinhit

There is no way (or need) to calibrate the sensor. However, the ONLY replacement sensors you should ever use in these vehicles is OE Mopar sensors. Anything other than that, and you're almost guaranteed to have issues.

So if you replaced it with a cheap local auto part store brand, that could very well likely be your issue.

Ahhh, okay yeah I just went to the local parts store I guess that was my problem. Any suggestions on where I go about getting one of these OEM sensors?

Thank you so much Chris, you’re awesome!

No problem, happy to help! Visually compare that one in the photo to the one only your vehicle just to make sure it looks the same. It says it fits a 98 TJ with a 2.5 engine though. I always just like to double check.

No problem, happy to help! Visually compare that one in the photo to the one only your vehicle just to make sure it looks the same. It says it fits a 98 TJ with a 2.5 engine though. I always just like to double check.
Okay replaced the sensor, check engine light seems to be gone for now. Once again thank you Chris you’re great!, now on to the next fix.

Reactions: Chris
Okay replaced the sensor, check engine light seems to be gone for now. Once again thank you Chris you’re great!, now on to the next fix.

Glad to hear it! Thanks for the update!

What about NGK/NTK? I know they have other sensors that are deemed to be good quality. Is their TPS not up to snuff?

If your TPS was made by NGK or NTK it should be fine. If your TPS error code comes back, the cause of that persistent error code is likely a bad/electrically noisy clockspring. The clockspring is not really a spring, it's an enclosed coil of wires under the steering wheel that connects the horn button, airbag, radio controls, or cruise control buttons on the steering wheel to the rest of the Jeep's electrical system. It connects to the same databus the TPS does so when the clock spring goes bad, it can generate electrical noise on the databus that fools the computer into thinking the TPS is bad.

If your TPS was made by NGK or NTK it should be fine. If your TPS error code comes back, the cause of that persistent error code is likely a bad/electrically noisy clockspring. The clockspring is not really a spring, it's an enclosed coil of wires under the steering wheel that connects the horn button, airbag, radio controls, or cruise control buttons on the steering wheel to the rest of the Jeep's electrical system. It connects to the same databus the TPS does so when the clock spring goes bad, it can generate electrical noise on the databus that fools the computer into thinking the TPS is bad.

Thanks, Jerry. I'm chasing a multi-cylinder misfire as opposed to the TPS code of the OP but that sensor is on my list. NTK is 1/3 the price of Mopar, so I was hoping it would have a green light. I've already had to replace the clockspring (unrelated issue), so hopefully that won't cause any problems.

Classic movie (20 years ago!).

Speaking of 1999, my '99 Sahara got a new OEM clock spring that fixed a lot of stuff, but the horn still doesn't work. Does that mean that I definitely need a new horn/airbag assembly? If so, where is the best place to buy one?

This is 100% accurate!!! A few months back i had a malfunction in my clockspring but didnt bother fixing it as a $180 clockspring just for a horn to work seemed to pricey, after that my tps went bad, swapped it out for a new one, and 3 weeks later same problem happened, so i swapped it out thinking the other one i bought might have been too cheap. But of course it failed again so i decided to fight some bad rpms in the morning. 2 months later (3 days ago) i had a (what to do to my jeep day) and decided to check out the clockspring. I disassembled the clcokspring took it apart and surely not the coil like tape was broken. Decided to take it to a tv repairer and charged me 20$ to sodder it. Installed it back, and tps accelerations have been working on point!!! Also it fixed my horn, cruise control, and airbag problems..

I have a 97 Wrangler 4-0 5 speed I was shifting gears around a corner when my Jeep went into a limp type mode top rpm around 2000 ,got home pulled code 12, 24 , 55 so put a new tps on still same problem tested tps voltage was fine. I can rev motor it will go up to 3500 but under transmission load 1700 pleas help