Track bar and tie rod: What hits, what doesn't?

Why would one change the differential cover? (If they didn't run a locker).

As far as I know, you don't even have to change your diff cover even if you have a locker, unless it's an Ox locker. Folks like to run big, thick diff covers in hopes they don't damage the internals if they aren't paying attention and hit a rock. Like Blaine said though, you'd have to hit something pretty dang hard to damage the stock cover, and if you do, chances are you damaged more than just the diff cover, and if you hit that hard, you aren't paying attention to what you're doing on the trail.

Reactions: GASnBRASS
Dana 30 or 44 in the front? Stock dif cover?

I have heard, but can't say from personnel experience, that the Currie, Metalcloak and JKS parts don't hit with stock dif covers and with most aftermarket dif covers and pretty much all lift heights out there.

It's mostly at the lower lifts that the problem occurs. Say, under 2 to 2-1/2" or so.

I have 1" of lift and my metalcloak bar does not hit. I had it at full bump and it clears. On my old TJ I ran JKS trackbar at 4" and it hit the diff but I was not running extended bumpstops.

Reactions: StG58
Currie may have just seen a good thing and made their own version. I don't think they have a patent on that design, and anyone who has done enough off-roading knows that those diff covers (the ones with the protection on the bottom) are the ones that really work.
No, Barnett makes them for Currie. Regional thing. Barnett is likely about 20 miles as the crow flies from where Currie used to be in Anaheim. Bit further now that Currie moved to Corona. Look up T and J Performance. That is who makes the Barnett cover.

Reactions: Chris and xxdabroxx
Barnetts website seems to be a bit on the iffy side. Wouldn't open for me yesterday afternoon.

It's been like that for a long time. They make a great product, they just don't really keep up with modern times as far as their website goes.

You can buy it straight from Currie though!

Time to give this topic some CPR.

I was measuring my bump stops yesterday and my front track bar contacted the diff cover. You can also see that my shock is about to bottom out as well.

Should I be looking at buying a different track bar (currently have a rubicon express) or should I push the axle back with the adjustable arms to gain clearance?

Also, I think I need to order shocks with a smaller body so I can get more up travel out of them. Thoughts?
20190103_194307.jpg
20190103_194301.jpg

Shorten your arms a little. Pull the springs, set the axle at full bump, then adjust the arms so nothing hits. Looks like your tb has rubbed the tie rod as well, or is that mark on the front face of the tb dirt or grease?

Shorten your arms a little. Pull the springs, set the axle at full bump, then adjust the arms so nothing hits. Looks like your tb has rubbed the tie rod as well, or is that mark on the front face of the tb dirt or grease?
I'm not sure what that mark is. I now is the time I really wish I had double adjustable arms.

You and @tomtaylz can have a spring pulling party! Lol!
JOY

Jim do you think its worth losing over all travel for increased up travel?
Capture.PNG
20190103_194307.jpg

Currently I run the RS55255 which is according to rancho the 3.5 inch lift shock.

As you can see I am maybe a 1/4 of an inch away from bottoming out the shock.

View attachment 70682View attachment 70683
Currently I run the RS55255 which is according to rancho the 3.5 inch lift shock.

It would depend on what the travel bias is, the amount of bump stop extension and what it is extended for. I run the 55255 on my front, but to use it all with just enough BS extension, I raised the upper mount to fit the compressed length.

Reactions: Alex01
View attachment 70682View attachment 70683

Alex, I'd do the trick that Josh did on his and raise the upper mount an inch to gain another inch of up, cause it looks like you still have tire clearance. More uptravel always trumps down IMO.