Track bar install help

Bkspear

TJ Enthusiast
I am replacing the track bar on my '06 and the new one wont seem to line up into the frame rail bracket bolt hole. I think somehow something on the front end became misaligned possibly when removing the old one. I have tried turning the steering wheel back and forth which seemed to have gotten it closer, but not enough to get the bolt straight thru. Any advice or suggestions??

Sounds like it is not an adjustable track bar? You could use a tie down ratchet strap or a “come along” to pull the body in the direction you need to tweak it.

Sounds like it is not an adjustable track bar? You could use a tie down ratchet strap or a “come along” to pull the body in the direction you need to tweak it.
No, its not adjustable, its the Moog replacement for stock basically. I have ratchet straps, but I'm not sure where to attach it to pull the body over.

You can go frame to slot in wheel. If you’ve got Clevis tie points you can tie it there to a tree, another car, a post. Bumper to slot in wheel. Frame to lawn mower. Lotsa holes in the frame to hook to. It really shouldn’t take much to move it. Get the wife to lean on the side. Hope some of these ideas help.
How far off is it?

Do you know if there is a lift on the Jeep ?
IF there is... then an adjustable trac bar should be installed to center the differential on the body/frame.
IF there isn't... then proceed as TJ Jim recommended above.

Last edited:
If everything moved all you have to do is get somebody to push on the body in the direction you need things to go

Do you know if there is a lift on the Jeep ?
IF there is... then an adjustable trac bar should be installed to center the differential on the body/frame.
IF there isn't... then proceed as TJ Jim recommended above.
I do not have a lift on this Jeep.

This is ridiculous. Years ago I took a Jeep to Meineke mufflers to install a muffler and new track bar. They couldn't figure out how to align the hole for the track bar. I bounced up and down on the bumper and turned the steering wheel and put the bolt in myself. Needless to say I didn't pay the idiots. It reminds me of all the Smart phones with dumb asses using them.
p.s. I was just reminded by my wife this morning that I have no tolerance or patience for anyone or anything. I told her, "tell me something I don't know" and stop annoying me. There were 3 before you.:love:

Clearly you know yourself very well...you just went on a rant about Meineke muffler installing a new muffler when the OP asked for suggestions on how he can best get the track back aligned.

No third party involved, like Meineke, just a new guy asking a great question.

Reactions: Bkspear and Vasq
This is ridiculous. Years ago I took a Jeep to Meineke mufflers to install a muffler and new track bar. They couldn't figure out how to align the hole for the track bar. I bounced up and down on the bumper and turned the steering wheel and put the bolt in myself. Needless to say I didn't pay the idiots. It reminds me of all the Smart phones with dumb asses using them.
p.s. I was just reminded by my wife this morning that I have no tolerance or patience for anyone or anything. I told her, "tell me something I don't know" and stop annoying me. There were 3 before you.:love:
Im not sure what you are calling ridiculous here?

Clearly you know yourself very well...you just went on a rant about Meineke muffler installing a new muffler when the OP asked for suggestions on how he can best get the track back aligned.

No third party involved, like Meineke, just a new guy asking a great question.
Thank you.

Reactions: skrelnik
Turning the wheel does help, but it’s still not enough to get the bolt straight thru.
735ECB3E-F1A7-4447-9565-2DCB1B9DDE01.jpeg

Thanks -good post . An unhooked track bar allows you to solve the problem it prevents hooked up.

A) When i recently installed an new from trac-bar i installed the Frame side first, then adjusted and bolted in the axle side.
B) I would recommend using a ratchet strap from a frame hole to the axle (I wrapped the strap around the C looking part of the end of the axle (sorry, don't know what its called). It took a good bit of torque but it worked.

Reactions: skrelnik
Put a jack under the drivers side frame rail and lift it.
This should increase the distance and allow you to align the stud and frame bracket hole.
Let us know how it works, and post some pictures !
Try not to get too frustrated, sometimes little things can drive you nuts !🤪

Reactions: Bkspear
So this was definitely getting frustrating, but after a combination of different things I got it installed. I installed the frame side first instead of the axle side, then used a ratchet strap to pull the axle over more, and then had someone turn the steering wheel while I line up the axle side bolt. Thanks to everyone who provided input and assistance!

I need some input about drilling the axle side mount. I’m installing the JKS adjustable and it calls for a 9/16 hole. I have the bit, and realize most of the hole is there, just needs to be reamed to final size. That parts easy what I’m concerned about is clearance due to the drag link. Im thinking to pop the drag link off the tie rod and swing it out to make the hole. Anyone else do this? A longer bit would have worked but with the drill motor and bit I already have, it needs to be closer to the hole that I have access for with the steering in the way.

Last edited: