Traction Pads?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
@StG58 and I were discussing these in another thread.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AV2HONS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Has anyone ever found a practical use for them? They're way too large to carry around in a TJ, I admit. However, if I had a truck, it seems like carrying these in the bed of the truck would be great for one of those low traction, deep mud situations.

A buddy I wheel with has a set that he has strapped to his spare tire, so they're not in the way. He's used them a few times, and they seem to work great.

Reactions: Chris
I bought a pair of the rubber roll up type. I have no idea of how well they work, or if they even do, but they seem to be well made and they store nicely. I guess I'm going to have to get stuck and find out.

8505182_in1.jpg

I've been watching a lot of videos on YouTube, and they really do work. If you have enough room to store them, I could totally see the benefit of these. Especially if you had a truck with a huge bed to just throw them in!

Ya know, I don't use traction pads off road. There have been some times where they would have been really handy in the sand.

Land Rovers and Land Cruisers have an advantage here. Nobody expects to put the top down, so all sorts of neat and useful things get hung on there.

Used carpet works pretty well as traction matting.

Yeah, that's my point. If you have a truck with a bed, or a land rover with a roof, you can fit a lot more stuff than you and I can fit in our TJs. Storage room isn't one of the TJs strong areas.

Reactions: StG58
Yeah, that's my point. If you have a truck with a bed, or a land rover with a roof, you can fit a lot more stuff than you and I can fit in our TJs. Storage room isn't one of the TJs strong areas.

True, storage room isn't a TJ's strong suit.

There's always more than one way to skin a cat. So does the TJ make up for storage capacity with tire size and a winch? I guess I mean, the Expedition guys love them some European 4x4's. They also really like gizmos.

But our TJ's seem to get further back in the brush over rougher country.

Yes. I suspect you can get further down the trails with a small TJ than you could with a Toyota Tacoma, Land Rover, or something larger.

So, perhaps the TJ has less of a chance of getting stuck.

And even then, a winch is going to get you out of almost anything. These traction mats just seem nice for something like the sand, or an area that is wide open where you may not be able to find something to attach your winch line to.

Reactions: StG58