Trading in the TJ

BLindzy

TJ Enthusiast
Good morning all!
So I have a question. It is time for my Son to get rid of his 1999 TJ and get something more reliable that he will be able to trust to do some traveling with. Not to say his Jeep has been good to him, but it is an older TJ and we can not have him stranded on the side of the road. So my original thought was to sell it outright. I was going to as about $6,000 and be happy if I got $5,500. It is in pretty good shape and runs well. So he found a car he likes about an hour away and it is in the price range we were looking at, get this, the dealership offered us $7,000 sight unseen to trade in the Jeep... I have done my homework and my original thought with $5500. is right in the ballpark of what they are going for in my area. What am I missing here? The car he is looking at is a 2019 and in great shape ( Note I'm a ex 25 year mechanic).

I'd go work the deal, hold firm on their original trade offer and don't let them take advantage of you on the sales price of the new vehicle or in the finance room.

I work in motor cycle sales for 25 years. Trade in is always easy. Not sure what state you live in but here in New Jersey they will also give you a "tax Credit" So lets just say they low ball you and give only $5500....it would be that plus your tax...here in Jersey the equals $5864......plus it is no bullshit dealing with all the stupid questions that come with selling on your own......Just my thoughts

Reactions: BLindzy
We recently traded in a Toyota Highlander for a new 4Runner. Easiest negotiation ever. The dealer started with “we want this much money plus your trade-in, the amount includes all taxes, fees etc. no hidden costs”.
We negotiated almost 5 grand off that amount and drove away happy.
From now on that is the only way I’ll ever buy a vehicle from a dealer.

They'll detail it and sell it for $9,000. They're making plenty off you buying the 2019 car. I sold a used car dealership my lifted 03' with 27,000 miles for $12,500 cash. I listed it on craigslist and they drove 2.5 hours each way and brought a trailer to get it back. I looked online the next day and it was listed for $17,500. It was sold in two days. With in-house financing, they made a killing when high % interest is totaled up.
White and Green Jeeps (2).jpg

Last edited:
Probably a scam. They want to trick you into coming into the dealer I would assume.

So my wife mentioned he called someone and I know for a fact that location he mentioned has a large Jeep club that buys up just about anything they can find.
I know when I was looking for my Jeep...my first thought was holy shit there is no such thing as N.A.D.A. value on these things. That being said as much as I hate selling things on Craigslsit, and Facebook market place. Maybe you should put it up for some stupid number and just see what happens. If they are willing to buy it for $7000 that means they will sell it for around $9000.

Good morning all!
So I have a question. It is time for my Son to get rid of his 1999 TJ and get something more reliable that he will be able to trust to do some traveling with. Not to say his Jeep has been good to him, but it is an older TJ and we can not have him stranded on the side of the road. So my original thought was to sell it outright. I was going to as about $6,000 and be happy if I got $5,500. It is in pretty good shape and runs well. So he found a car he likes about an hour away and it is in the price range we were looking at, get this, the dealership offered us $7,000 sight unseen to trade in the Jeep... I have done my homework and my original thought with $5500. is right in the ballpark of what they are going for in my area. What am I missing here? The car he is looking at is a 2019 and in great shape ( Note I'm a ex 25 year mechanic).
I just bought my wife a JL and was going to use her 2005 as a trade in, they offered me $1000. I laughed at the guy and walked out.

Reactions: BLindzy
We recently traded in a Toyota Highlander for a new 4Runner. Easiest negotiation ever. The dealer started with “we want this much money plus your trade-in, the amount includes all taxes, fees etc. no hidden costs”.
We negotiated almost 5 grand off that amount and drove away happy.
From now on that is the only way I’ll ever buy a vehicle from a dealer.

I have never in my life had it that easy. There is a place around here that says they will give your $100 or $200 or something if they can complete the sale in 1.5 hour. 1.5 hour to complete a sale is a goal?

I've wondered if I offered 2x sticker for any car on the lot could they sell me a car in 30 minutes. I'm not talking trade in. Just selling the car.

I only do private party because it's literally a test drive, negotiation, and handing over cash. It took me less than 30 minutes to buy my jeep. 28 of them was test drive or inspection.

I traded a Tahoe in for a truck 5 years ago. The truck was exactly what I wanted but a few hours away. I sent good pictures of my trade and we made a deal over the phone. The entire time there I was just waiting for the "sales manager" to approach me with a "we need to talk about your trade" look on his face. Never happened. I left with the new truck and they never attempted to change a thing.

I traded a Tahoe in for a truck 5 years ago. The truck was exactly what I wanted but a few hours away. I sent good pictures of my trade and we made a deal over the phone. The entire time there I was just waiting for the "sales manager" to approach me with a "we need to talk about your trade" look on his face. Never happened. I left with the new truck and they never attempted to change a thing.
Oh! They do that and I'm done with them!

Reactions: Zorba
I just bought my wife a JL and was going to use her 2005 as a trade in, they offered me $1000. I laughed at the guy and walked out.
I'll give you $1059 (Craigslist scammer price ) for it, if the frame isn't rotted out. My brother bought a brand new 4 door from NC. They were $6,000 cheaper than the local dealerships here in this college town (UVA). They drove it here and delivered it to his door. He wrote them a check for the full amount. The perks of having money. I wouldn't know.:(

Last edited:
They'll give you what you want up front and then break it off in you from behind.
Oldest bait-n-switch in the book.