Trail Etiquette

billiebob

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
60309601_2221706617915345_2270250945944223744_n.jpg

Stolen from another forum, but it’s useful.

Colorado is a big state. We have TW members all across it. On any given weekend, there may be a trail run or two planned somewhere.

1-Be on time. If you can't be on time, be 10 minutes early. You show up on time for work, this is really no different, people are counting on you.
:D
I know it's the weekend. It's the weekend for everybody.
These runs are usually set up a few days or more in advance, with discussion of the trail. There will be an agreed upon meeting place and an agreed upon departure time from that meeting place.

Stick to it or you may be left behind.
:cool:

Sometimes, members are near the trails. While others are halfway across the state.
For those that have to drive an hour or more... (I've personally driven 3 hours, one way, to wheel with a small group.) It's kind of a drag to have to sit and wait for those who are "just a few minutes late" and sometimes live nearby. If that's the case, then lets meet at your place so I can tear up your bathroom instead of the convenience store.
:crapstorm:

2-Be sure and let the group know if you are going to be late or a no show. I know, just contradicted the above....Just so we know to expect you at some point and aren't left wondering if you are stuck somewhere on the trail, the highway and need help, or simply slept in and still in your pj's..
:pccoffee:

If you are on time though, then nobody has to worry.

3-Communication.
CB radios are reliable, cheap, and they work everywhere on the planet.
This should be on your build list right between the bumper and the winch install.

Cell phones are great except when they don't work. I'm truly surprised, and disappointed, at some of the remote locations we are now able to get cell service. But it's not perfect and varies by carrier. Plus they are only good for two people, not good for 3 or more vehicles and you shouldn't be on the phone while you are wheeling anyway
:p

I can personally guarantee that your cell phone will not currently work up here on the Northern trails.

I will be blunt...If you have had your ride for over a year, have a bumper, sliders, winch, lift, etc...it's time to get serious. For less than the cost of dinner and a movie out with the significant other, you can have a fully functional CB radio that will be with you far longer than any cell phone. No, you don't need to transmit and receive 10 miles, just far enough to talk to the drivers in the group. If you don't know what you are looking for or how to install one, just ask, 20 guys will volunteer to help for the price of a beer.

4- Recovery gear. Everybody gets stuck. Everybody.
This is something that is acquired over time. It is not necessary to have it on your maiden run. But make sure at least ONE driver has some kind of gear, tow straps at the very least.
It helps to have a hook point on your ride too. Actually, it really is required. Most vehicles have tie downs from the boat, but maybe take a look at the front and rear and see what you don't mind having yanked off. Mod days are great for adding tow hooks or some kind of reliable recovery point. If you are stuck you will be either extracted with a 8000lb winch or bigger, or somebody yanking your strap with a 4000lb truck. If it ain't stout, you'll find out right away.
Never use chains for towing or recovery. Straps only and NO Hooks. They will most likely cost you a windshield or maybe just kill you.

5-Stay on the trail. No short cuts across switchbacks. If it's not a road, it's not to be driven on. If green stuff is growing on it, let it grow.
:humble:

Entire trails, or parts of them, are closed every year due to drivers going "off road", parking on the grass, taking a shortcut across a switchback, or attempting obstacles that really aren't obstacles...
Now honestly, I really see very little of this from the TW members that I have run with. It's usually first time noobs, wheeling alone with too much beer and the measuring stick is out, or they simply haven't been educated on what will happen.
This is your time to be a steward of the forest and gently let them know. But use common sense. If you think they will be un-receptive to something like that, just let it go. Not worth being shot over.

6-We are here to wheel.
This a Toyota website, for wheeling enthusiasts.
If extracurricular activities are mentioned beforehand and everybody is on board, then cool.
Otherwise, keep the quads, crawlers, firearms, etc for lunch break or another time altogether.
Basically don't hold up the group.

7-pack it in, Pack it out.
This includes policing your brass.
Carnage Canyon was a spectacular area to wheel in years ago, some truly awesome hard core obstacles and trails.
Due to shooting abuse alone, the trails are now closed permanently.

8-Keep an eye on the driver behind you.
Ok, so you are new, new to you ride, new to the trail, no radio, no clue where you are.
You have no idea what turn to make because the driver in front is suddenly no longer in view when you get to the fork in the road. Don't guess. Wait until somebody comes back for you or somebody behind you knows the way.

When you get to a fork, stop. Wait until the driver behind you is in sight and knows without a doubt where you are going.
I have seen this rule followed pretty well among the drivers who have been around for a while. But still needs to be mentioned.

9-Set a vehicle order based on common sense.
Don't put the new drivers in the very back. Or the very front. The trip leader needs to know where they are going and should have run the trail before.
The Tail Gunner should have some experience, recovery gear, CB radio or other form of reliable communication. The Tail Gunner is solely responsible for everybody on the trip getting through the trail. Don't pass drivers up because they are engaged in dust mitigation. Take a pic while you are waiting then move along together.

Drivers should be staggered, experienced, noobs, kind of experienced, just enough knowledge to be dangerous, maybe an experienced guy behind them to keep an eye on things. You get the idea.

10-Bring plenty of fuel, food, water.
Yes, I've had drivers show up, run a trail, be back in the middle of nowhere, and then ask how much further cause they are running on fumes. No Bueno.

If you're wheeling as a group, then be a like minded group. It will create a more harmonious wheeling experience for all involved.
It also goes a long way in how we are perceived as wheelers when we act as if we know what we are doing.
My club adhere's to these rules and we often have 20-30 vehicles on a run and it usually goes without incident or long delay.

https://www.treadlightly.org/

http://staythetrail.org/

https://sharetrails.org/#Welcome

7-pack it in, Pack it out.
This includes policing your brass.
Carnage Canyon was a spectacular area to wheel in years ago, some truly awesome hard core obstacles and trails.
Due to shooting abuse alone, the trails are now closed permanently.
Best Point !! ^^^

This is why trails get closed.
Freaking idiots who should still be wearing diapers.

Been looking for a thread like this.
Stolen from another forum, but it’s useful.

Colorado is a big state. We have TW members all across it. On any given weekend, there may be a trail run or two planned somewhere.
Been looking for a thread like this. I've spent that last several decades in the mountains but being out there just to be wheeling is newer for me. I know uphill traffic has right of way, take out more than you bring in, close gates behind you. What are some of the other courtesy/rules of off roading?

Been looking for a thread like this.

Been looking for a thread like this. I've spent that last several decades in the mountains but being out there just to be wheeling is newer for me. I know uphill traffic has right of way, take out more than you bring in, close gates behind you. What are some of the other courtesy/rules of off roading?
Be reasonable about attempting an obstacle and either winch or let others pass if it isn’t working out.

Weekend before last, we hauled out a torn up Jeep back seat... ratchet strapped it to the spare tire.

In Naches, when pre-running for trail Jam, we hauled out, I shit you not, a full dana 30 axle assembly. No clue how that got left behind other than someone drug it out there to dump it.