Trail ride in Washington's Tahuya Forest this past Saturday

Teddydogno1

This past Saturday, I went on a "newbie" run put on by a nearby 4x4 club called "Quadrapaws". This was my first off-road trip with my new 05 LJ Rubicon.

I have a few pics and a couple of short (boring) videos. Nothing of me and my Jeep tacking the trails...I was solo and without a videographer.

Our group that day was all Jeeps. Mostly Wranglers from YJ to JL, with one build Grand Cherokee.

My LJ at a stop on the trail (we stopped a lot for some reason).

070619_trail_lj-jpg.jpg

And a pic of part of the group...

070619_trail_group1-jpg.jpg

The last trail of the day is called "Route 55" (or something like that). So named because it used to be an easy, high speed run. Not so any more. The club has improved the trail to make it a Moderate difficulty one with a row of large stones (that I heard called "The Qualifier") at the bottom entrance. The stones do create a bit of a "pucker factor" for people like me with little experience and it does require some lift and large tires and a little skill, or some dragging of skid plates and/or rocker guards. I'll link a video at the end.

070619_trail_55entrance-jpg.jpg

070619_trail_55entrance2-jpg.jpg

Before tackling this, a brand new Jeep Gladiator joined us. 3 days old! The guy gamely attempted the entrance and was going to try the trail. But his length and side steps were a problem and he got hung up pretty well in the stones. Got hung up to the point that he needed to be pulled back off and give up.

Video:

The trail consists of dips and troughs (steep), stones and logs, and some tight turns and trees.

070619_trail_55-jpg.jpg

070619_trail_55_2-jpg.jpg

And more boring videos... I didn't have a trail camera hooked up, though I do have one that I plan to use in the future, so all you get is a few hand-held videos out the windshield as I drive some easy bits. Shown is the more open portions of the area. Much of it is much closer in the woods with narrow passes between trees, stumps, logs and boulders, with some Jeep-width crevices as well. Big trucks would not do very well in most of this area.

Rob

Nice! I took my LJ there yesterday on a "newbie" run with the Washington State Jeepsters group... Missed ya by a day!

Reactions: DrDmoney
OMG, I have been to Tahuya many times. I remember the woops quite well. When I first got my first YJ I went there dead stock, and got drug around, and got stuck on rocks, but in the end I built my YJ to pown Tahuya. In the end I had a 6 inch lift 33in mud tires and ARB's front and rear topped with a 8K warn winch. Tahuya was no match for me after that lol. I do remember getting my Jeep so muddy you couldn't even tell what color it was anymore. It was one of my favorite places to go. It was crazy we would take the ferry with like 10 or 12 lifted Jeeps and trucks.

Thanks for the memories, and the pictures. I miss WA sometimes.

Also not sure where you are in WA, I remember going to Reiter Pit off of Reiter Road. I am not sure if it is still open haven't been there in about 15 years, but it was a lot like Tahuya, but it is just off of hwy 2. It would be a jaunt if you live on the peninsula, but if it is still viable, it is worth the trip.

Reactions: JMT
Tahuya!! This will be my first place for a shakedown after all my goodies are installed, if they ever show up in the mail. I've only been twice but I'm itching to go again

OMG, I have been to Tahuya many times. I remember the woops quite well. When I first got my first YJ I went there dead stock, and got drug around, and got stuck on rocks, but in the end I built my YJ to pown Tahuya. In the end I had a 6 inch lift 33in mud tires and ARB's front and rear topped with a 8K warn winch. Tahuya was no match for me after that lol. I do remember getting my Jeep so muddy you couldn't even tell what color it was anymore. It was one of my favorite places to go. It was crazy we would take the ferry with like 10 or 12 lifted Jeeps and trucks.

Thanks for the memories, and the pictures. I miss WA sometimes.

Also not sure where you are in WA, I remember going to Reiter Pit off of Reiter Road. I am not sure if it is still open haven't been there in about 15 years, but it was a lot like Tahuya, but it is just off of hwy 2. It would be a jaunt if you live on the peninsula, but if it is still viable, it is worth the trip.
Reiter is still open they have a rock crawl comp there now... and they prefer "Reiter Trails".....lol I remember doing the "Reiter Cleanup" runs with the club I was in. We hauled out junk abandoned car, trucks, appliances, and furniture among all the other garbage.

Reactions: Hawkeye and ac_
Reiter is still open they have a rock crawl comp there now... and they prefer "Reiter Trails".....lol I remember doing the "Reiter Cleanup" runs with the club I was in. We hauled out junk abandoned car, trucks, appliances, and furniture among all the other garbage.
Here is a picture of me and Robyn (The wifee) at Reiter in my YJ, This was our first wheeling trip together, and she still went to Moab with me after this!

This was back in 2005, so sort of a throwback Thursday:

ttrmyyj.jpg