Trail tools—prepared versus overkill

AndyG

Because some other guys are perverts
Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm looking for some kind of consensus of what most guys like to carry...I realize it's going to vary because some people can do extreme things on the trail... But on the average what is a good basic setup for trail tools... In addition to the standard items I'm also asking what are the unusual things that come in handy... Needle nose vice grips, etc.

Thanks
Andy

Duct tape, bailing wire, flat and Phillips screwdriver and needle nose pliers.

Oh and my HiLift jack!

Here is what I carry, all fits in the red Milwaukee bag. In the smaller pouches are metric/standard sockets separated in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 sizes. I am going to add a couple of prybars.

PXL_20200918_194831572.jpg

I carry a socket set and a 36mm. In a separate box I carry spare ujoints, tow strap, little bit of gear oil, electrical odds n ends. Used to carry shafts but stopped doing that after someone took advantage of my spares.

• Sad
Reactions: AndyG and Irun
Two things I've never absolutely needed on the trail, an electric impact wrench and a Hi-Lift jack. The rest of the tools yeah. I pretty much carry a full set of the larger sizes of metric and SAE wrenches. Vise grips, BFH, pry bar, and a 12-pt. 1/4" socket (to get the cross-pin out) for when a buddy's Dana 35 axle breaks.

Two things I've never absolutely needed on the trail, an electric impact wrench and a Hi-Lift jack. The rest of the tools yeah. I pretty much carry a full set of the larger sizes of metric and SAE wrenches. Vise grips, BFH, pry bar, and a 12-pt. 1/4" socket (to get the cross-pin out) for when a buddy's Dana 35 axle breaks.
I knew my sarcastic HiLift would get a rise out of Jerry.... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Great thread...Last weekend I brought some hand tools but didn't end up using them when I broke. The only thing I used was my tow strap to get out of the woods.

What parts should I plan to bring with me?

Reactions: AndyG
I carry a full set of 1/4”, 3/8”, and 1/2” sockets in both SAE and Metric, as well as a 36mm, also a full set of metric and SAE gear wrenches, various sizes and types of pliers, multiple sizes of vice grips, two hose pinch off pliers, full set of Allen wrenches and torx bits,Flashlight and lighter, rubber gloves, Hammer, various screw drivers, a multimeter, spare wire, electrical tape and splices, fuses, hose clamps, bailing wire, spare TPS, Spare crank sensor, spare MAP Sensor, spare belt, spare joints, all fluids. Tire repair kit. Full trauma kit as well. And a 72hr bag. I’m sure I’m missing some tools I carry as well. But I like to get way out away from others and must be pretty self reliant.

Hey this is just my opinion: High lift jack looks cool for dummies.
This tool is so famous for the JK Mall Crawlers.

Last weekend a guy I was wheeling with had the classic mall crawler...big & expensive rims, shiny black paint, expensive clothes. He ended up going up the hardest obstacle with no problem. He was the only one to go up without winching. He broke his plastic hub and did some rim damage and didn't care. Best part was the Jeep shop owner that built the rig saying that he never expected that from him.

I've found a ball joint press to come in handy on a few occasions.

I also carry a spare serpentine belt, some fuel line and hose clamps, and some spare bolts/ nuts to fit control arms and track bars. Along with extra U-joints, I keep some straps and hardware on hand. A set of jumper cables is good to have as well as tire repair tools and extra valve cores.

I carry 4 smaller bags - I am thinking about combining this all into an industrial backpack and having another backpack for recovery.
* Sockets every size in 3/8 - tekton kit
* Misc hand tools / with a breaker bar (with 19mm) and everything to change out a u-joint.
* Tire kit
* Electrical kit

Up until 3 years ago, I didn't have a garage at my house so my toolkit in the Jeep was huge since it was all my Jeep related tools. I do now carry a lot less and there are those odd times I saved the day by pulling out an air grinder or snap ring plyer with my old setup I can't do anymore but it was just too much weight.

I still struggle with how much/what fluid to carry. Diff fluid seems to be most used, then power steering but in all my years I've never needed brake fluid or engine oil but I often will carry.

I do carry a few other things:
Milwaukee chainsaw, recovery kit, change of clothes, toilet kit, coffee kit (includes small stove), 4L of water, battery booster that can also charge phones, outer stub, fan belt, chair, hand cleaner, jack stand, gloves, paper towel and a tarp.

If I'm going on a harder trail I'll throw in a few extra things
* electric impact
* power probe

Going wheeling with people who consider themselves prepared and you wont need to carry a full garage. A few members of our club did the rubicon last year. If one of the four of use wasn't there we'd have had real issues fixing broken parts.

The bottle jack with an extended impact attachment has saved me hours of time fixing tires on trail rides.

Other than that basic tools, basic fluids, and recovery gear. Tools for hub replacement, driveshaft removal, and ujoint replacement are a must.

For those who know how to weld and know the basics of electrical currents, the spool guns that run off of two car batteries have saved me multiple times.

Reactions: pc1p