Trailer Tie Down Review, Mac’s Super Pack

DrDmoney

🫤
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I purchased the Mac’s Super Pack tie down kit to replace my old cargo straps, the cargo straps were ok for strapping the Jeep down but I had to use axle straps and the sewn in hooks on the ratchet end were long and different length, they made it challenging to attach to the trailer and keep the ratchet out from under the rig.

https://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/...e-down-kit-with-integrated-axle-straps-511106
The Super Pack offers a hook on the ratchet which allowed me to keep the ratchet out from under the vehicle and was easy to use with the tie ins on my trailer and they have an adjustable length axle strap that is sleeved to protect the strap, you can also use it as a standard strap if you choose. The 2” straps are #10,000 rated and come in different colors and two lengths of your choice (6’, 8’, or two of each) I got the 8’ straps but could have gotten the 6’ and not have to deal with the excess strap (about 3’ with my setup). The kit comes with a bag and straps to secure the excess strap to the ratchet handle in the closed position (my preference) which keeps the tails from whipping around in the wind and random hands from easily loosening your load. The integrated axle strap was a real plus for me and I only re-tensioned the straps once on the way to Moab and didn’t have to at all on the return. I realize there are other brands out there but these were what I bought and I’m just passing on what I learned, so for me it’s two thumbs up for the Mac’s Super Pack 👍🏻 👍🏻

33619662-37BD-4888-BD26-F95D86D05E8B.jpeg
B0751277-D161-45A6-85AC-3B055C917EBA.jpeg
CFDA1671-79C8-4359-8BC6-0708ECA0893B.jpeg
342D3384-7A4B-42FF-A7D7-F6D158BC9049.jpeg
E5C9F11D-6767-48E3-88B1-20D4B9B2983B.jpeg
C2968B5F-C7F6-4689-A982-F48E58E16EBB.jpeg

I've been using MAC's for a couple years now... though I use the 'through the wheel' straps... Great straps and no issues except the occasional need to grease them when the PNW grit gets into the mechanism, but that happens with any ratcheting strap.

Love my MAC setup. Just ordered a set for a dirtbike too, delivery next week.

But I'm concerned with this picture If you're putting any stress on that area above the hook where it looks to be hitting the trailer I'd be worried. Eventually you'll break one. @MagnumV8 just broke one in that same spot. You need the macs d-ring on a chain hook for those stake pockets.

1620416842758.png

1620417038444.png

But I'm concerned with this picture If you're putting any stress on that area above the hook where it looks to be hitting the trailer I'd be worried. Eventually you'll break one. @MagnumV8 just broke one in that same spot. You need the macs d-ring on a chain hook for those stake pockets.

View attachment 250618

View attachment 250619
or something like these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B3VPHNY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The chains fit in the bag easier ;) if you pull them. those would also hang down on the rear of the trailer and may drag.
they don't hang down, they sit above the pocket... and I don't remove them from the trailer so they don't take any space in the bag :)

they don't hang down, they sit above the pocket... and I don't remove them from the trailer so they don't take any space in the bag :)
The pin has to be below the stake pocket so it has to stick out the bottom.

View attachment 250618

View attachment 250619

Here is what happened to mine on only it's 3rd use. All 3 times it was used in a straight pull, never hooked over the edge. My D rings are above the deck.
20210423_130830.jpg

I do enjoy the simplicity and the security of Mac's and of just rolling the Jeep up onto the trailer (no longer flat towing). However, my experience is that they stretch quite a bit within the first 15-20 minutes of trailering. So much that the Jeep actually rocks back and forth and other drivers notice. I have to pull over to the side and tighten things down again. That's usually not convenient nor safe.

I do check tightness before departure. It seems that the forces from trailering are what cause it. Anyone else have this experience?

I do enjoy the simplicity and the security of Mac's and of just rolling the Jeep up onto the trailer (no longer flat towing). However, my experience is that they stretch quite a bit within the first 15-20 minutes of trailering. So much that the Jeep actually rocks back and forth and other drivers notice. I have to pull over to the side and tighten things down again. That's usually not convenient nor safe.

I do check tightness before departure. It seems that the forces from trailering are what cause it. Anyone else have this experience?
You see this every time you use them?

I tightened mine in my driveway in Minnesota and never needed to touch them again until I removed them in Moab.

Reactions: DrDmoney

I tightened mine in my driveway in Minnesota and never needed to touch them again until I removed them in Moab.
Usually most pronounced when I haven't used them for awhile. First trip of the season? Always. Outbound? Very common. Return trip? Not usually.

Nope... sometimes I have to tighten one a single click if temperature/altitude changes enough to lower the tire pressure in the jeep (thus reducing pressure on straps), but that's rare even... 99% of time tighten once and good to go.

Reactions: Apparition

Nope... sometimes I have to tighten one a single click if temperature/altitude changes enough to lower the tire pressure in the jeep (thus reducing pressure on straps), but that's rare even... 99% of time tighten once and good to go.
Wow. I assumed it was just the nature of the straps. Mine are four years old. Maybe I'll call them and ask about it.

Reactions: Apparition