Trailer winch

cclarke802

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So I finally got a car hauler to take my tj on longer trips and I want to put a winch on the trailer just in case. Any mounting recommendations? It’s a wood deck trailer 16x7. Thanks for any advise y’all have

29F4DC9A-6FE9-4753-B1F6-DE962D8EB62B.jpeg

What ever is the least expensive. A 1000# ATV is likely plenty but there are lots of cheap 5000# plus winches out there. I'd mount it on a plate/channel welded to the tongue.

And 50' of cable is likely plenty.

Last edited:
What ever is the least expensive. A 1000# ATV is likely plenty but there are lots of cheap 5000# plus winches out there. I'd mount it on a plate/channel welded to the tongue.
I picked up a 5000lbs one on Black Friday working on framing up a truck box to mount on the tongue to house the battery, solenoid, straps etc.

91AB7938-A050-4562-A2E4-A8B7800F3A08.jpeg

Reactions: billiebob
I was going to suggest using the winch on the front of your Jeep. If it's really a "just in case" thing that might get used someday but mostly not...why waste money on a all that and the battery which will just sit and rot. I've dragged tons of non-running vehicles up on a trailer using a come-a-long and a length of chain...takes about 15 minutes all in, sometimes have to use a snatch block to double the pull, but the battery won't go dead and its useful for lots more things.

Reactions: Blondie70
I was going to suggest using the winch on the front of your Jeep. If it's really a "just in case" thing that might get used someday but mostly not...why waste money on a all that and the battery which will just sit and rot. I've dragged tons of non-running vehicles up on a trailer using a come-a-long and a length of chain...takes about 15 minutes all in, sometimes have to use a snatch block to double the pull, but the battery won't go dead and its useful for lots more things.
I personally subscribe to the theory of I’d rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. I also will put a couple lights on the trailer and a few other things. Also have a solar battery tender already to go so it should be ok.