TJ Fest 2021
Join us in Moab, Utah from 4/24/2021 to 5/1/2021 for the first annual TJ Fest 2021. Click here for more information.

California Trails off I-80 between Auburn and Colfax

duncanator

Supporting Member
I was hoping some of you could recommend some "beginner" trails off of I-80 in Northern California? I purchased my 2001, 4.0 Wrangler about 2.5 years ago and have spent that time fixing and replacing items and thought it was time to get introduced to off-roading. I bought it mainly to have a project to teach my child how to work on a vehicle plus ave something fun to drive on a nice day. My 01 has no lift and has remained mostly in stock form, but I figured that there has to be some beginner trails or easy way to get introduced to using the Wrangler for something other than city driving. I have to start somewhere and probably could go to Prairie City OHV, but that's a little out of the way and not really what I'm looking for.
I plan on taking my 11 year old child out too so we'll both be learning, but I'm also not looking for anything that would take half a day, but rather something that will take an hour or two.
Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for something to try? Thank you!

bobthetj03

vibrajeep
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I haven't ran it yet, but I've heard from others who have, Signal Peak trail just past Truckee is pretty easy, and has some nice views. It's a loop, so it'll put you back on the I80. Check the NorCal adventures thread and you might get some folks to join you.