California Trails off I-80 between Auburn and Colfax

duncanator

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I was hoping some of you could recommend some "beginner" trails off of I-80 in Northern California? I purchased my 2001, 4.0 Wrangler about 2.5 years ago and have spent that time fixing and replacing items and thought it was time to get introduced to off-roading. I bought it mainly to have a project to teach my child how to work on a vehicle plus ave something fun to drive on a nice day. My 01 has no lift and has remained mostly in stock form, but I figured that there has to be some beginner trails or easy way to get introduced to using the Wrangler for something other than city driving. I have to start somewhere and probably could go to Prairie City OHV, but that's a little out of the way and not really what I'm looking for.
I plan on taking my 11 year old child out too so we'll both be learning, but I'm also not looking for anything that would take half a day, but rather something that will take an hour or two.
Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for something to try? Thank you!

I haven't ran it yet, but I've heard from others who have, Signal Peak trail just past Truckee is pretty easy, and has some nice views. It's a loop, so it'll put you back on the I80. Check the NorCal adventures thread and you might get some folks to join you.