Tranny Question??? Help

Frank

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have a 2005 Wrangler x 4.0 with auto trans with 124,500 miles on her. Fluids and all filters have been changed and flushed at 100,000 and has been doing great but over the weekend, riding down the highway just all of a sudden it jumps out of gear and motor races, I let off gas and it goes back into gear and no more problems, Next day going to town I get a terrible vibration at about 50 or so, so I get off gas, slow down and it goes away and once again does not do it again. What could it be??? Checked tranny fluid it was fine, red and no smell. Wheels are tight and no play so I am figuring tranny going out or torque converter, Any guesses on what to search for or try? Thanks in advance for any help.

That sounds like it is slipping due to lack of pressure by the transmission pump.

First things first, make sure your transmission fluid level is to the full mark. Next thing I would do is get the fluid and filter replaced ASAP (assuming you have no record of it ever being done recently). Check the transmission for codes as well, as this could very well be throwing a code.

Your vehicle has enough miles to suggest that it could very well be the torque convertor wearing out, and the transmission needing a rebuild. However, I wouldn't jump to that conclusion just yet.