• Want to add an app icon for this forum to your mobile device's home screen? Check out this thread to see how.
  • Have an event you want to share? Check out the new forum event calendar and how-to use it in this thread here.
  • To both new members and existing members, please read this thread about posting your topics in the correct sub-forum. It makes my job (and my life) a lot easier!

Transfer case clunk

Jlasall1

I've been looking through the forums for months and I've been unable to find someone who has the exact same issue as I have. The issue started initially when the vehicle was in 4-wheel drive and occurred much more with the wheels turning. However over time the clunk began as soon as the vehicle was put into four-wheel drive. I've attached a video, and I cannot tell if the issue is at the u-joint or the t case, obviously hoping that the former is the issue. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

Goatman

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Video wouldn't load, but I would replace the u-joints first. They could probably use a refresh anyway. If in doubt always do the cheap and easy first.

OP
Jlasall1

Jlasall1

I'll try re-uploading. I agree with that assessment, I'm just beyond poor right now and my Jeep is my only vehicle so I'm trying to figure how dire the situation is. What part of upstate are you from? I'm originally from NY and will likely be back there by Christmas (due to the previously mentioned poorness).

Attachments

MaloStapalo

Release the Kraken
Supporting Member
I'll try re-uploading. I agree with that assessment, I'm just beyond poor right now and my Jeep is my only vehicle so I'm trying to figure how dire the situation is. What part of upstate are you from? I'm originally from NY and will likely be back there by Christmas (due to the previously mentioned poorness).
Have you tried removing the front drive shaft and see if the noise is still there?

OP
Jlasall1

Jlasall1

I completely removed the front driveshaft and drove the vehicle. With four wheel drive engaged, the noise was gone. However if the transfer case isn't able to engage the front drive shaft and be put under load, how does this isolate the fault to the driveshaft? Also, I think I have a CV style driveshaft with an SYE eliminator, but can someone confirm?

20190823_091107.jpg

20190823_091750.jpg

20190823_091759.jpg

20190823_091844.jpg

OP
Jlasall1

Jlasall1

Outside Saratoga. Far enough away from Albany that I don't have to smell it.

Welcome to Albany, smell our burning trash. I grew up in Schoharie county. What is the trail situation in NY? I know there won't be any rock crawling like there is in Colorado, but I'm more into overlanding anyway. My research has shown that there isn't a whole lot, but I know there are a ton of dirt roads in the state.

Goatman

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
That is a standard front shaft. They all came with the double Cardin on the transfer side. While it's out give it a good look at the ujoints. If in doubt they are easy and pretty cheap to do.

Reactions: Flivver250

Goatman

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I've only gotten back into the Jeep thang this Spring. Still going through or replacing everything first. Back in my CJ days there wasn't much for trails other than snowmobile trails around here. And the farmers dont like you driving in the hay fields in the Summer. We would always go to Vermont for fun. Cross the border and within 10 miles we could always find a trail to run and camp on. All the lawyers living in NY have sucked all the fun out of this POS state.

OP
Jlasall1

Jlasall1

Took me forever, but I got the CV rebuilt (I'm pretty sure this guy was the issue) and the two associated u-joints done. Has anyone ever seen a u-joint installed with the plastic retainer pins on the differential yoke end? Because that's what I have going on, so I get one last frustration before I finish up.

Reactions: Chris

Flivver250

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Outside Saratoga. Far enough away from Albany that I don't have to smell it.
A long time ago I used to have a Ben & Jerry's route all through that area. From Schenectady up to the Canadian border and over as far as Tupper Lake. Brutal winters in those parts. I grew up in Vermont.

Flivver250

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
That is a standard front shaft. They all came with the double Cardin on the transfer side. While it's out give it a good look at the ujoints. If in doubt they are easy and pretty cheap to do.
+1 on this. They are out, replace them and move on. If done right they should last a decade with normal use.

derekmac

TJ Addict
Took me forever, but I got the CV rebuilt (I'm pretty sure this guy was the issue) and the two associated u-joints done. Has anyone ever seen a u-joint installed with the plastic retainer pins on the differential yoke end? Because that's what I have going on, so I get one last frustration before I finish up.
The factory u-joints had plastic injected retainers. They melt right out if you heat them with a torch.