Transfer case clunk

Jlasall1

I've been looking through the forums for months and I've been unable to find someone who has the exact same issue as I have. The issue started initially when the vehicle was in 4-wheel drive and occurred much more with the wheels turning. However over time the clunk began as soon as the vehicle was put into four-wheel drive. I've attached a video, and I cannot tell if the issue is at the u-joint or the t case, obviously hoping that the former is the issue. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20190820_151807.mp4
    26.4 MB
Video wouldn't load, but I would replace the u-joints first. They could probably use a refresh anyway. If in doubt always do the cheap and easy first.

I'll try re-uploading. I agree with that assessment, I'm just beyond poor right now and my Jeep is my only vehicle so I'm trying to figure how dire the situation is. What part of upstate are you from? I'm originally from NY and will likely be back there by Christmas (due to the previously mentioned poorness).

Attachments

• 20190820_151807.mp4
    26.4 MB
I'll try re-uploading. I agree with that assessment, I'm just beyond poor right now and my Jeep is my only vehicle so I'm trying to figure how dire the situation is. What part of upstate are you from? I'm originally from NY and will likely be back there by Christmas (due to the previously mentioned poorness).

Have you tried removing the front drive shaft and see if the noise is still there?

I completely removed the front driveshaft and drove the vehicle. With four wheel drive engaged, the noise was gone. However if the transfer case isn't able to engage the front drive shaft and be put under load, how does this isolate the fault to the driveshaft? Also, I think I have a CV style driveshaft with an SYE eliminator, but can someone confirm?

20190823_091107.jpg

20190823_091750.jpg

20190823_091759.jpg

20190823_091844.jpg

Outside Saratoga. Far enough away from Albany that I don't have to smell it.

Welcome to Albany, smell our burning trash. I grew up in Schoharie county. What is the trail situation in NY? I know there won't be any rock crawling like there is in Colorado, but I'm more into overlanding anyway. My research has shown that there isn't a whole lot, but I know there are a ton of dirt roads in the state.

That is a standard front shaft. They all came with the double Cardin on the transfer side. While it's out give it a good look at the ujoints. If in doubt they are easy and pretty cheap to do.

Reactions: Flivver250
I've only gotten back into the Jeep thang this Spring. Still going through or replacing everything first. Back in my CJ days there wasn't much for trails other than snowmobile trails around here. And the farmers dont like you driving in the hay fields in the Summer. We would always go to Vermont for fun. Cross the border and within 10 miles we could always find a trail to run and camp on. All the lawyers living in NY have sucked all the fun out of this POS state.

Took me forever, but I got the CV rebuilt (I'm pretty sure this guy was the issue) and the two associated u-joints done. Has anyone ever seen a u-joint installed with the plastic retainer pins on the differential yoke end? Because that's what I have going on, so I get one last frustration before I finish up.

Reactions: Chris
Outside Saratoga. Far enough away from Albany that I don't have to smell it.
A long time ago I used to have a Ben & Jerry's route all through that area. From Schenectady up to the Canadian border and over as far as Tupper Lake. Brutal winters in those parts. I grew up in Vermont.

That is a standard front shaft. They all came with the double Cardin on the transfer side. While it's out give it a good look at the ujoints. If in doubt they are easy and pretty cheap to do.
+1 on this. They are out, replace them and move on. If done right they should last a decade with normal use.

Took me forever, but I got the CV rebuilt (I'm pretty sure this guy was the issue) and the two associated u-joints done. Has anyone ever seen a u-joint installed with the plastic retainer pins on the differential yoke end? Because that's what I have going on, so I get one last frustration before I finish up.
The factory u-joints had plastic injected retainers. They melt right out if you heat them with a torch.

I got that far, but I'm at a loss as to how to get a new 1330 u-joint in there. The channels for the injection are far too deep to use clips, and there isn't anything on the inner lip to use in the inside clips.

I have a 2006 LJ. I found this from 2015, and it says that the 2005 LJ in question uses the the 5-793x.

Front Driveshaft @ Pinion: 5-793x
Front Driveshaft @ CV: 5-1330x (edit: 5-790x is now obsolete)
Front Driveshaft @ T-Case: 5-1330x (edit: 5-790x is now obsolete)
CV Centering Yoke: 211996X

LJ Rubicon w/ Rear Driveshaft #585AA @ T-Case: 5-1330x
LJ Rubicon w/ Rear Driveshaft #585AA @ Pinion: 5-1330x

Finally got around to reinstalling the driveshaft after running into every possible issue and delay. The new joints and the rebuilt CV did NOT solve the clunk when in 4WD. I took it out today after installing the driveshaft and a new transmission mount, and I am still getting excessive clunking when in 4WD. Running less than 5 mph on very level dirt, and it sounds like the transfer case is constantly slipping. Stuck my head out the window and I'm almost certain it's coming from the output end of the t case.