Transfer case fill plug fudged up and can't get it off

The Real Lxxtsy

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Just like the title says, it's all fudged up from the PO. The drain plug opens easily. Sprayed it with Kroil and heated it up but no luck. Keep heating it up? Suggestions appreciated. Thanks

20180122_182008.jpg

Not yet, afraid of rounding it more bit i guess I have no choice huh?

Last edited:
Mine kinda looked like that too. I ended up needing to pull the transmission anyway, so I separated the T-Case, and got it up on a bench. I was able to get a much better bite on it there, and got the old one to come out. Make sure there isn't any dirt in the hex socket holding your wrench out. On the bench, I could use my good Wiha Hex keys too. Good Luck!

Reactions: The Real Lxxtsy
There's also an old trick I learned from a mechanical engineer friend of mine at NASA ... always tighten a bolt before you loosen it. Since that was the last direction it was going, many times that's all it needs to break loose.

Last edited:
I would try hitting the wrench hard with a hammer at the same time you're trying to break it loose
Was thinking that and use the next size up on the 6pt socket. I just want out to break loose. Will try your trick as well.

Last edited:
Be careful hitting that with a hammer. That TC case is aluminum I believe. I'd drill it and extract that way. I believe it's a 3/8 NPT plug. Any hardware store should have one. The plug itself should be steel.

Reactions: TJ2
Be careful hitting that with a hammer. That TC case is aluminum I believe. I'd drill it and extract that way. I believe it's a 3/8 NPT plug. Any hardware store should have one. The plug itself should be steel.
Think it is aluminum and that's why I was hesitate in overtheating it.

Reactions: TJ2
While we're on this topic, I'm want to pick your brains some more. I've been having this growling/howling noise that I could not figure out for the life till recently. In 2H the noise starts from 40-50 mph only. Last weekend I found out in 4H the noise disappears, back in 2H annoying noise comes back. Would it be low TC fluid? Not engaging in 2H correctly? Or something else is the problem?

The growl howl could be front drive line spinning with no tension. I had a Chevy shop round out a drain plug on an oil pan and they couldn’t get it of in the wick lube (warranty oil change) after 20 min I got underneath looked at and said put a rag between the socket and bolt to take up the space tap it on et a hammer and try it. It worked. They put a new drain plug on. You might tray that if you can line up stiff