Transfer Case Harmonic Balancer Removal

shakeyJake

Supporting Member
Hey guys, working on a slip yoke eliminator kit. I got my transfer case out with some good fighting but now I’m stuck again.

It looks like there is a weight on the output shaft but I don’t know how to get it off to get to the next seemingly impossible step of this DIY SYE install.
Let me know if I need to go rent a puller or if I can just hammer this thing off, or how I should tackle this thing..

Thanks for your help... again.. 🤦‍♂️

DC476EF9-59FA-4B4B-8D59-5FA5E0EF37E7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
That's the harmonic balancer and it's a PITA to remove, luckily I never had to remove one. Someone here will have good advice on how to proceed. I'll edit your title so those with experience will notice it more easily.

Oh man, mine is rustier that shizz.. this is going to suck, anyone have another way? Btw, thanks for the response...

Oh man, mine is rustier that shizz.. this is going to suck, anyone have another way? Btw, thanks for the response...

I've concluded that to work on these vehicles it is essential to have Kroil penetrating fluid, a good EZout set with left hand drill bits, and a tap and die set for the common thread sizes.

Seriously, if you squirt some good penetrating oil in those holes and run the right sized tap in a couple of times, you'll be able to use those bolts and move it right off.

I've concluded that to work on these vehicles it is essential to have Kroil penetrating fluid, a good EZout set with left hand drill bits, and a tap and die set for the common thread sizes.

Seriously, if you squirt some good penetrating oil in those holes and run the right sized tap in a couple of times, you'll be able to use those bolts and move it right off.

For those don’t have a set of taps and are primarily going to be cleaning up threads on repairs rather than cutting new ones, I suggest but buying a thread chaser kit. If you are interested, Lang makes a nice USA made kit (rebranded on many tool trucks). It’s available on Amazon and many other online retailers for $60ish.

In a pinch, you can take a grade 8 bolt and and hit it with a grinder or Dremel to make your own thread chaser. There a many good YouTube videos.

The point behind thread chasers is to clean and reshape the tread. Rather than recut them by removing more material.

GIve those threaded bolt holes a few sprays of Kroil, Liquid Wrench, or Break-Free and let it soak in.

Don't waste your time using WD-40 or PB-Blaster, neither of which are effective on anything with more than a little stickiness.

Put a dab of anti seize on each bolt before you thread it in as well. I did the bolt removal method on mine and it worked like a champ.

The threaded bolts on mine were junk as well, actually tore through the case instead of pulling the balancer off
IMG_1735.jpeg

I fought this thing for almost an hour, and then I used an air hammer with a chisel blade and the POS slid off like butter with 2 trigger pulls.

IMG_1734.jpeg

you just need to drive the inner most part of the balancer (the part of it right on the shaft). If you hit the big part the rubber ring will just bounce all day. Good luck.

• Wow
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Do you have a model number to the Lang kit? I see some on amazon but it doesn’t say chaser.

Here are a few: (Note Kastar and Lang are the same company)

48 Piece kit
40 Piece set
26 Piece kit

Also for those that are interested in high quality tools, check out Tool Truck Rebrands. The website highlights the OEM for tools that are later rebranded with the Snap on, Mac, or Matco brand names. The site provides links to them on amazon.com. - For the record I have no idea who owns that site but he is very upfront about the fact that he makes 5% from Amazon when you follow his links and make a purchase.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help guys, used a set of spring compressors that I had to pull off the weight, the rubber piece came with it, then had to go to O'Reilly's and rent their 7 Ton puller and pulled it right off in their parking lot.

Let's see what goes wrong next..:sneaky:

I hope the satisfaction of success is worth it...

Already have a set, but that first Circlip without the holes to allow the rear housing to come off was murder. Glad I have another hooptie I can drive around until this job is done.