Transfer case linkage issue

EBW

Supporting Member
Hoping for some insight from the forum.

When I purchased the 2006 Rubicon, the 4 Wheel Dash Light was on and the PO stated he went through a mud debris wash and it had stayed on ever since. He stated it was probably the sensor.

I ordered the new sensor and installed. When I went to test everything, the Dash light stays on in 2WD, goes off in 4H and back on in 4L. I have loosened and re-adjusted the linkage. I am at a loss at the moment. Hopefully someone here can steer me in the right direction of what to look for.

Thanks in advance.

Start it up and drive it. When it says it's in 4WD on the dash, is it actually in 4WD? It would be easy to tell by turning a corner (4WD with fight you and jump in low speed corners).

Like most of us, I ditched the crappy stock transfer case linkage a while back for the much better Savvy cable shifter unit.

Having said that, I wonder... is the shifter installed properly?

I suppose it's also possible that some damage was done to the transfer case itself.

I drove it and confirmed that it was in 2WD ( light on) and then switched to 4H ( light went off). It was definitely in 4 High.
I then switched back to 2WD and the light came back on.

Hence My confusion at the moment and wondering if there is anything to look for .

Sounds like it's wired backwards or the connection is forced on backward . ...have you got an image of the sending unit or a part #?

Reactions: EBW
Watching the video the linkage looks good , and seems to be "throwing " like it should into 4h and lo

I thought the same on the wiring backwards, but it lights up when going to Low
This is the sensor.

Screenshot_20181211-200157_Chrome.jpg

That is the one I replaced.

I am unaware if there are any other sensors for that light

Hmm... it’s a Crown sensor, I’ll bet that’s the issue. Those are known to cause issues.

I would replace it with a Mopar factory sensor and I'm betting that solves the issue. Believe it or not, these TJs are notorious for rejecting any sensor that isn't an OE Mopar sensor. It's a widely known and well documented issue.

Reactions: EBW and AndyG
Could it be plugged on backwards ... That sensor is "open" at rest and makes it's only connection when the pin is depressed into the body . It's a little odd because that dash light really shouldn't be getting any power in 2h , unless something is Off in the transfer case

Hmm... it’s a Crown sensor, I’ll bet that’s the issue. Those are known to cause issues.

I would replace it with a Mopar factory sensor.
Hey , take him Seriously.

Chris knows these vehicles well, and what to watch out for.

I would replace it with a Mopar factory sensor.

Ok, I'll order another sensor. I wish Id had known they weren't very good. It was on Quadratecs site.

Could it be plugged on backwards ... That sensor is "open" at rest and makes it's only connection when the pin is depressed into the body . It's a little odd because that dash light really shouldn't be getting any power in 2h , unless something is Off in the transfer case

I thought the same about the wiring being backwards, but the connection is one way ( has a snap clip on one side )

Ok, I'll order another sensor. I wish Id had known they weren't very good. It was on Quadratecs site.

Yes, going forward, be sure you never use any other sensor other than OE Mopar.

Watch the video in this thread if you want to know why this is:
The Official Jeep Wrangler TJ Oxygen (O2) Sensor Thread

I realize that pertains to O2 sensors, but it's the same idea with the other sensors as well.

When I had to replace my CPS sensor, I used a Crown unit. The check engine light and error codes would not go away until I replaced it with a OE Mopar sensor, and sure enough it ran perfectly after that.

Reactions: KCsTJ and EBW
These are good guys , here to help. They really have good information and experience .

Let us know how it all works out ,that helps us all.

Reactions: EBW
The switch you replaced is just a NO (normally open) pin switch. When you removed the old switch, did it come out in one piece? Are you certain the hole it screws into was clear of debris and or pieces of the old switch?

Edit: The switch is actually a multi-position switch. Thanks @billiebob

Last edited:
The switch you replaced is just a NO (normally open) pin switch. When you removed the old switch, did it come out in one piece? Are you certain the hole it screws into was clear of debris and or pieces of the old switch?

The old switch came out with no issues and yes was in one piece.
The new switch didn't have the O ring, and I carefully removed the old one and installed on new switch. I even took the time to shop vac all around the area since it had dried out dirt and mud. If there was any debris, It would be deep inside the transfer case then. It was clean where the old switch made contact to the TC, so I don't think anything mud made its way in.
Took some time to also clear out the wiring clip.

Just seems weird since I have had Jeeps and other 4WD vehicles and understand the process. I chalk it up as the joys of owning a used vehicle I guess.

I ordered the new MOPAR switch like Chris recommended and now awaiting that to arrive.
I will update once it arrives.

Thanks to all who have commented.

Reactions: Chris

Yeah, I'm with you. I'd be a bit surprised if Crown couldn't make a simple pin switch. Seems like it would be easy to test on a bench as well.