Transfer case linkage adjustment questions

B1Toad

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I just finished my transfer case linkage adjustment as I wasn't able to shift into Lo range on my new to me TJ. It works now, and all the bushings look fair to good. Is it advisable to lube any of the linkage parts ? Also if a bushing allows a tiny bit of offset movement is that normal or should it be replaced? Are upgraded bushings available?

Last edited:
Literally just put this on in the past couple months. I had it in my office waiting on a lot of my build to get there, I should have done it long ago.

IMG_9878.jpg

IMG_9879.jpg

Not true, @AndyG and I installed mine with with the skid in place. Took a bit of work but we pulled it off.

That sucks.....just saying, y'all are crazy, ha. My arms would have been bent in there.....the cussing would have had my wife locking the door, just saying ,ha.

That little dam nut on the through bolt, would have had to be done with one hand, arghhh, ha.

• Haha
Reactions: Claybirdd
I am confused, I thought the skid plate was also the cross member that supports the transmission/transfer case, all in one piece?

Last edited:
I just finished my transfer case linkage adjustment as I wasn't able to shift into Lo range on my new to me TJ. It works now, and all the bushings look fair to good. Is it advisable to lube any of the linkage parts ? Also if a bushing allows a tiny bit of offset movement is that normal or should it be replaced? Are upgraded bushings available?

Order the savvy cable shifter from Amazon. It’s all the savvy goodness without the savvy shipping!

Reactions: AndyG
The Savvy cable is a true upgrade from the fussy, vague z linkage design. Makes the transfer shift crisp and definite. The stock is way better than it was in 80’s though- A good spray lube on the pivot points does wonders.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis
If your factory linkage is working properly I wouldn't bother changing anything. I personally preferred the factory to the Savvy. The Savvy is however, completely necessary if you are doing a body lift or tummy tuck.

• Love
Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis
If your factory linkage is working properly I wouldn't bother changing anything. I personally preferred the factory to the Savvy. The Savvy is however, completely necessary if you are doing a body lift or tummy tuck.

Just curious, why do you prefer the factory to the Savvy cable shifter.

Just curious, why do you prefer the factory to the Savvy cable shifter.

Not enough of a difference to be worth the coin at the time I did it. My factory shifter was in good condition, and shifted solidly. The factory shifter is easier to adjust as well.