Transfer Case Play—Ticking Time Bomb?

RFC

In preparing for some normal preventative maintenance per all the great info on this forum, I found that I've got about 1/4" of up/down play in the rear output of my transfer case. When moving it I can also hear a clunk inside the case on the side leading to the front axle. No vibes while driving and the only odd noise I hear is what sounds like a light chattering only when the front of the Jeep is pointed nose up (not even sure it's t-case).

Is this normal play for 160K or am I running on serious borrowed time. Don't wheel it hard, but mild trails and lots of use in the snow, pulling a trailer with wood, other farm type use.

Thanks

When you push up from the ground, on to the rear output shaft from the T-Case , you can make it move 1/4" up, and then it drops back down? Or is the entire transfer case moving up and then down?

Reactions: Chris
When you push up from the ground, on to the rear output shaft from the T-Case , you can make it move 1/4" up, and then it drops back down? Or is the entire transfer case moving up and then down?
I believe OP specifically said the rear output.

The slip yoke t case has become the norm in the 4x4 world. (All makes and models)

Are you pushing it with relative ease or giving it a king kong push or pull? "Some" movement with a "little force" isn't abnormal.

Your chattering only pointing up and not sure the locale of it....check your hood latch. The center one. Spray it good with some penetrant and see if it goes away.

My point in asking is if its the transmission mount. I am hoping its not the rear output shaft. If it is, that bearing is toast and he needs to stop driving it before he explodes this Tcase housing. That bearing is worse than toast....

Hey Guys - Transmission and motor mounts were replaced as the first step. As far as movement, it doesn't take much force - just grabbing the slip yoke joint and giving it a little shake with relative ease. It's the shaft that moves, not the case or u-joints. The chattering isn't the hood, but is coming from either low end of the block, bell housing, tranny or t-case and seems to be a rotational noise. Putting in the clutch doesn't change the sound which makes me think it may be engine side.

Last edited:
You are not supposed to have radial play. I would guess that engaging 4wd may change a noise. I wonder if you can get the chain to slip by turning in a radius on pavement in 4 wheel drive.

I got under my jeep and pushed as hard as I could and I didn't feel any play in my rear output shaft. Play / bearings / rotation do not go together.

This is a video of me wiggling my rear output shaft.

I would re-build that t-case asap. Its a few hundred dollars in parts and I think you could do it in 2 days.

Here are some notes when I replaced the tcase input shaft bearings:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...7-wrangler-almost-a-classic.21434/post-522972

Last edited:
Reactions: EzPeezy
Thanks for all the info, very helpful. I found a decent used one locally so I think I'm going to swap that in and then take my time on learning how to rebuild.

Thanks for all the info, very helpful. I found a decent used one locally so I think I'm going to swap that in and then take my time on learning how to rebuild.

When you swap it... just be ready... some fluid will spill out of the transmission! You can tilt the transmission back up to help slow it down, or minimize fluid loss. My guess is the linkage will be the nasty part.