Transfer Case Shifter Handle Extension

I finally got around to extending my Transfer Case Shift Lever. My jeep is the 2006 65th Anniversary with the automatic and as I am in Australia, it's Right Hand drive.
Here is a basic description of how I went about it. The photos explain it better.
The Console on the 05 and 06 are split, (not too sure about other models) so you only have to remove the front half, you don't need to remove the part between the seats.
1st, remove the rubber cup holders. There's a bolt under there, remove it.
Then pull off the Automatic Transmission Shifter handle, it just pulls straight up with a bit of force.
If you didn't buy your TJ new, just have a look under the shifter handle to make sure the Previous Owner didn't put a screw in there to hold it on, you never know!
Once the handle is off, lever out the Shift Bezel, I found it easier to start at the back, once that came out,
the rest popped out without any force. Then pull out the globe holder from the Bezel.
There's another screw holding down the Console, which was hidden by the Bezel, remove that now.
Then work the Console up and out. If you still have your original Transfer Case Shifter, you migh have to shift into 4 Low to get the Console out.
Now remove the Transfer Case Shifter Handle, put it in 2H then pull the pin out from the end of the handle.
I shifted to 4L to unclip the spring from the handle, then just wiggled the handle out.
Then it was pretty much weld on the extension, paint and reinstall.
I used a M12 bolt and cut it to the required length before welding. It was a galvanized bolt, so I had to remove the galvanizing before I welded it, as it's not too good for your health. The easiest way to remove the galvanizing was to soak it in vinegar. I just bought the cheapist vinegar from the supermarket and soaked the bolt in it over night. I had my doubts if it would work, but by next morning it was stripped clean. You can actually see the vinegar starting to attack the galvanizing as soon as you pour it on.
The thread in my Shifter Knob was M16, the bolt I used for my extension was M12. I had to install an M16 to M12 thread insert into the Shifter Knob so it would screw onto my extension.
Because I made the new Shift Lever straight, it comes very close to the back of the Console when in 4L, it doesn't touch, so I will see how it goes. If I do it again, I would angle it forward a bit so it doesn't come back as far when in 4L.
Before I installed the Console, I replaced the tape on the wiring that sits under there as it gets hot. I also put down some of that Dynamat stuff over the Transmission tunnel.
I still have to put a lock ring or something under the Shift Knob to stop it turning, so that will hide the exposed threads. It is on very tight though.View attachment 51278 View attachment 51279 View attachment 51280 View attachment 51281 View attachment 51282 View attachment 51283 View attachment 51284 View attachment 51285 View attachment 51286 View attachment 51287 View attachment 51288 View attachment 51289 View attachment 51290 View attachment 51291 View attachment 51292 View attachment 51293 View attachment 51294 View attachment 51295 View attachment 51296 View attachment 51297 View attachment 51298 View attachment 51299 View attachment 51300 View attachment 51301
Really a super job - the best pics and explaining the procedure! A JOB WELL DONE!! I really think this is what i need, thanks again. I will try a premanufactured shaft because my welding is the worst.

Reactions: Maso
They seem to be in and out of stock. Keep checking...
Thanks - I was not sure if it was a once and done run or if he produced them whenever.. Cause it noted that they just sold 6 units. Thanks again for the words of hope! I will stay on it like stink on crap.

Reactions: Zorba
just finished mine on the 06 Rubi

EA17BFC5-CE44-4091-B852-236BBA6FADC3.jpeg

I'm assuming the NP241 lever is different from the non-Rubi? I can't find just the Rubicon lever for sale anywhere, it's always listed with the linkage for ~$100.

The lever and assembly is the same but the linkage under the floor pan to t-case is different.

Reactions: joelachr