How hard should the transfer case be to shift?

Ohio 222

My 98 4.0 5 speed transfer case linkage was froze up so I 'm in the process of removing it. My question is how hard is the transfer case to shift manually, it seems to be stuck in 2 wheel high. This jeep did sit for a couple years

The tcase is pretty easy to shift with a standard size pair of pliers once the linkage is disconnected from it. A common cause of the linkage no longer working is it having slipped out of adjustment. Just that bolt with the 1/2" head on it holds it in adjustment and they can slip out of adjustment pretty easily.

The stock linkage is off ,does the arm on the transfer go up or down to shift to 4wheel high ? I hate asking a stupid question, the stock linkage never worked so I couldn't see it work

The arm is pushed towards the rear in 2wd. Maybe the 4 clock position (from what I remember), each position is one step closer to the front. 4lo is 9 oclock (ish)

From the drivers side in 2 wheel the arm looks to about in the 7 to 8 0clock position does 4 wheel drive position go to the 9 or 6 oclock

I replaced all my linkage with a cable setup. Here are some pics of the old linkage out of the Jeep.
IMG_0553.jpeg

Here is a pic of the new cable system that replaced it, shipping is a dream now.

PM me and I'll give you the details.

IMG_0583.jpeg