Transfer case skid: should I wait or buy now?

RINC

E pluribus unum = Out of many, one
Supporting Member
A Sunny Place For Shady People. Laveen, AZ
Savvy is what I want to run but, they are out of stock. May be a long time I was told when I called HWKHausSupply.

How are UCF skids. Was looking at engine/TC skid. Called, left message to see if there was stock on hand. Waiting for reply.
https://undercoverfab.com/transfer-...ion_f-no_rubicon_locker_pump_bracket_included
Are they out of stock like Savvy? Just go and buy beadlocks and tyres and check back with Savvy in a few months ?

I tend to think it's worth waiting to buy what you really want.

I've never seen a UCF in person, at least not close enough to notice this, but does it have stiffeners like the Savvy does? If it doesnt and is like the Rockmen, it would be more prone to bending/bowing.

I've never seen a UCF in person, at least not close enough to notice this, but does it have stiffeners like the Savvy does? If it doesnt and is like the Rockmen, it would be more prone to bending/bowing.

I been going through the threads on here with the search button. I can't get a read on how strong they are from what I have read. I need strength that the Savvy product offers if I am to be following along with Garrett.

I been going through the threads on here with the search button. I can't get a read on how strong they are from what I have read. I need strength that the Savvy product offers if I am to be following along with Garrett.
I'll sell you my Savvy MUA for $1800

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: RINC
I have the UCF ultra clearance skid. It has reinforcements and is pretty stiff. I opted out of the Savvy because it’s been OOS forever and I could add a custom crossmember for much less. Garrett also has the UCF skids.

Reactions: Akitadog and RINC
I would wait for the savvy skid if it’s what you truly want and trust. In the meantime, get a replacement stock skid if you need one and keep going.

I have a UCF extra clearance 1/4 inch aluminum skid and have no issues whatsoever. I bought it years ago and had it handy, so I installed it on my current TJ. I’ve landed on it hard, had the weight of the vehicle on it, and there are no bends or broken welds, only scrapes and scratches. It does have bracing across the skid where the trans mount sits and I would say it’s a quality product.

3F43907A-0013-49E4-9F98-F10DEE5A003E.jpeg
CFB4D326-0C88-427F-87B6-7D6EE3A0854F.jpeg

I want a skid with a stand alone crossmember and may one day end up with the savvy skid if I don’t end up building my own. Again I think you should wait and get the savvy skid if it’s what you want. I am happy with the UCF skids I have and it’s not on the top of my list to upgrade at this time.

And some massive cajones.

• Haha
Reactions: RINC
I've had both Savvy and UCF skids. Each will do the intended job of protecting the belly. From my perspective, Savvy has two key advantages:

1. The included cross member allows for the skid to be removed, without having to place a jack for support.lo
2. There is a much longer ramp going from the frame to the lowest part of the skid. This means you get the maximum amount of clearance on any skid other than a custom flat skid. You can see the difference in the two pictures.

ucf-deep-cover-skid-plate-system.jpg

UAM-LATE-scaled.jpg

That said, the Savvy skid does take work to get the exhaust to fit. If you want the best bolt on, and are willing to do some exhaust work, wait for the Savvy!

I've had both Savvy and UCF skids. Each will do the intended job of protecting the belly. From my perspective, Savvy has two key advantages:

1. The included cross member allows for the skid to be removed, without having to place a jack for support.lo
2. There is a much longer ramp going from the frame to the lowest part of the skid. This means you get the maximum amount of clearance on any skid other than a custom flat skid. You can see the difference in the two pictures.

View attachment 300216

View attachment 300217

That said, the Savvy skid does take work to get the exhaust to fit. If you want the best bolt on, and are willing to do some exhaust work, wait for the Savvy!

It did not register till the pics you posted side by side. What a difference. The exhaust I have thought about a lot. I don't have an exhaust "Guy" so I may have a story like some of y'all getting it done a few times till it's right. I have been talking with a guy at work who does his own welding, I hope I remember to ask when I see him if he would want to tackle my exhaust.

Reactions: Irun
I have the UCF ultra high-clearance steel skid plate. I have had no issues with it and I have come down hard more than once.
If I was set on Aluminum I would probable wait for Savvy, but UCF makes a solid product. Going ultra high is a process, getting everything stuffed up and sorted out takes patience. You can always swing by and take a look at the set up.

s2.jpg

skid.png

• Love
Reactions: RINC and Irun
I have the UCF ultra high-clearance steel skid plate. I have had no issues with it and I have come down hard more than once.
If I was set on Aluminum I would probable wait for Savvy, but UCF makes a solid product. Going ultra high is a process, getting everything stuffed up and sorted out takes patience. You can always swing by and take a look at the set up.

View attachment 300229

View attachment 300230
Can you expand a little on the “process”? Also is yours a 97-02 or 03-06?

I believe all has been done for the next step of a tummy tuck. SYE and DC shaft. Adjustable control arms. 1.125in body lift, 1in motor mount spacer. TC shifter cable.

It's a '04 X with 4.0L, NV3550, NP231 TC, Dana 30 front, swapped in a Rubi Dana 44 rear. The rear shaft was cut down an inch for the 44 rear swap and TC skid back to the stock height. It was raised up from a inch or two drop.

I believe I have it right that, the 231 TC I have is smaller than a 241. May make for more clearance.

Can you expand a little on the “process”? Also is yours a 97-02 or 03-06?
Mine is a 98 4.0 atm
Started with the body lift, motor mount lift , adjusting the radiator / fan shroud to match, TC shifter cable, shorter muffler raised and pushed back 4", raising the cat and exhaust pipe 1.5 inches and cutting and reshaping the tail pipe to clear the axle when stuffed but not hit the floor of the tub or trac bar and still exit next to the fuel tank as intended with out ratting on anything! I also fit the oem trans mount instead of switching to that POS UCF mount or anything poly. Ultra high also puts a lot of angle in your drive shaft. I went with a mega short SYE and custom drive shaft to give me maximum shaft length to relieve some of that. That is what I remember off the top of my head. I just remember it was a learning experience.

Reactions: TRE3TOP

I can confirm the Rokmen 1/4" bends.... But IDGAF anymore lol

I believe all has been done for the next step of a tummy tuck. SYE and DC shaft. Adjustable control arms. 1.125in body lift, 1in motor mount spacer. TC shifter cable.

It's a '04 X with 4.0L, NV3550, NP231 TC, Dana 30 front, swapped in a Rubi Dana 44 rear. The rear shaft was cut down an inch for the 44 rear swap and TC skid back to the stock height. It was raised up from a inch or two drop.

I believe I have it right that, the 231 TC I have is smaller than a 241. May make for more clearance.
Looks like you have the foundation done. tweaking the exhaust will be your biggest challenge. Everything else should just push straight up.

Is your SYE a super short or traditional? Also is it just the skid plate you need to complete the tuck?

Looks like you have the foundation done. tweaking the exhaust will be your biggest challenge. Everything else should just push straight up.
Exhaust is what I am anxious about.

Is your SYE a super short or traditional? Also is it just the skid plate you need to complete the tuck?
My SYE is not super short. I still have a speedo gear in there. Came with the Jeep. Yes. I have the stock skid and it's back in without a spacer to drop it.
20210117_155253.jpg