Transfer case

alex7667

I bought a 2004 Jeep wrangler within the last 6 months and I haven't been able to operate the transfer case at all. The gear selector moves into all 4 positions and it will hold in each position. When I try to shift into 4 high while moving or stopped, I get no 4x4 light on dash (which is common), and 2 wheel drive is still engaged. I have adjusted and tightened the linkage, but still no luck. Does anyone know a fix for this? I have the 2.4 liter "squirrel power" engine paired with the 5 speed manual transmission

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you sure the linkage is actually moving the TCASE position lever? I would disconnect the linkage from the lever on the TCASE and switch it by hand to see what happens. That will tell you where the problem is.

Are you sure the linkage is actually moving the TCASE position lever? I would disconnect the linkage from the lever on the TCASE and switch it by hand to see what happens. That will tell you where the problem is.

If the lever does not move on the tcase, what should I do then?

If the lever does not move you have a TCASE problem, but I would suspect that the problem is in the linkage. The stock linkage is really a piece of work. Most people swap it out with either a Savvy or Novak cable shifter at the first sign of trouble.

Last edited:
Sounds like the stock linkage is loose and not moving the TC lever at all. The linkage can be tightened up and/or adjusted, but if you have the funds, as @CodaMan says, the Savvy (my personal choice) or Novak cable shifters are much better.

Reactions: JMT
Be sure to read up on the Savvy version. While very similar, it has some modifications that make installation easier, and is slightly less expensive.

Okay I will take a closer look at Savvy

If the lever does not move you have a TCASE problem, but I would suspect that the problem is in the linkage. The stock linkage is really a piece of work. Most people swap it out with either a Savvy or Novak cable shifter at the first sign of trouble.

Just checked up on the TCASE and I have found that the TCASE lever is moving and functional, so the stock linkage is just not moving the lever, thank y'all for your help

Reactions: CodaMan
Just checked up on the TCASE and I have found that the TCASE lever is moving and functional, so the stock linkage is just not moving the lever, thank y'all for your help

Great! You should be able to put it in 4-hi manually and have the light come on and it be driveable in 4WD

Great! You should be able to put it in 4-hi manually and have the light come on and it be driveable in 4WD

I was able to put it in 4wd and drive, but still no light on. I know it was in 4wd because the steering was tight. So I will invest in a cable shifter next

The light could just be a dash thing, maybe the bulb is burnt out. Later I'll get you some troubleshooting information for the light unless someone does before me.

The light could just be a dash thing, maybe the bulb is burnt out. Later I'll get you some troubleshooting information for the light unless someone does before me.
That 4wd dash light is a pain in the butt. The 03 X I owned previously had a dash light that never came on. You can check it with a certain key on/off sequence, and it will light up during that (mine did, so I know it wasn't a burned out bulb). I can't remember the sequence, but you can search for it. I replaced the TC switch, that didn't fix mine. So either I had a short in the wire between the switch and the dash light, or the lever in the TC was not making contact with the switch. Some switches don't work all that well either. I gave up and just decided that I knew when it was in 4wd without a dash light telling me.

That 4wd dash light is a pain in the butt. The 03 X I owned previously had a dash light that never came on. You can check it with a certain key on/off sequence, and it will light up during that (mine did, so I know it wasn't a burned out bulb). I can't remember the sequence, but you can search for it. I replaced the TC switch, that didn't fix mine. So either I had a short in the wire between the switch and the dash light, or the lever in the TC was not making contact with the switch. Some switches don't work all that well either. I gave up and just decided that I knew when it was in 4wd without a dash light telling me.

I have performed the key trick you are talking about and the light lit up. I may try to replace the switch, and if not, I will go without the light.

Reactions: Chris