Transmission bell-housing oil drip

Dartman57

behind the oil pan, the flat panel (Sorry have no idea what to call it!) in front of the transmission. And NO it's not transmission fluid, it's oil! And tired of hearing that all "OLDE" things drip.

Leak.jpg

Basically any oil that leaks will find its way to that point. Start by checking the valve cover gasket. Then the oil filter adapter. If those are good then your looking at the oil pan gasket or rear main seal. If you change the pan gasket you might as well do the RMS. No Jeep should leak. If there is a leak it should be fixed.

Reactions: Jack_Stefan
Could be rear main seal leaking. Somewhat lengthy job to replace depending on your skill level.

Could also be the rear of the oil pan gasket, which is just about as lengthy as the rear main seal. Most it the steps for both are the same.

Could also be the back of your valve cover. Definitely an easier job. I‘d start there and rule that out first.

Mine turned out to be the oil pan gasket.

Reactions: jgaz
I’m going to repeat this common advice only because you may be new to the site.
Start with the easy thing first, replace your valve cover gasket.

The leak on my 2006 LJ looked exactly like your picture.
I was a mechanic for 40+ years and was sure I had a RMS replacement in my future. I read some experiences on here about leaking rocker cover gaskets and decided to give that a try first.
The cover gasket fixed my leak!

Use the Felpro gasket kit that contains the sealing washers as well as gasket.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
It's either the rear main seal or the rear of the valve cover gasket (or both).

Wipe everything really clean and watch for the leaks over the next few drives in the places everyone already said.

If it's the oil pan or the valve cover gaskets - simply tightening the bolts/nuts is not enough and can warp things. So don't do that!

I was a mechanic for 40+ years and was sure I had a RMS replacement in my future. I read some experiences on here about leaking rocker cover gaskets and decided to give that a try first.

Ok... I FREELY admit I am not a Wrench. Y'all use the term "RMS". WTF?

Thank you for going easy on the FNG...

Had the TJ on the lift today to change engine oil. Mine looked just like yours. I have thought it was RMS leak for quite some time and think I confirmed that today with a close inspection of drain pan etc.

Y'all are GREAT!!! I mostly love that you have treated this FNG with kid gloves!
@Dartman57 I just saw this. I didn’t mean to screw you up with my RMS abbreviation. Sometimes I lapse into old habits when typing a response.
For example, Lower Control Arm will always be LCA.

You are right, this is a friendly site for those that are new and/or inexperienced.

We do seem to cover a number of the same subjects multiple times but no one complains or will flame you for asking a question again.

Basically any oil that leaks will find its way to that point. Start by checking the valve cover gasket. Then the oil filter adapter. If those are good then your looking at the oil pan gasket or rear main seal. If you change the pan gasket you might as well do the RMS. No Jeep should leak. If there is a leak it should be fixed.

I read that there is an opening at the top of the bell housing on 4.0L Wranglers. I can't see this opening. Just did my RMS and took my time about it. Leaking worse than before. I clearly have a leak from the valve cover gasket, but how can it make it down into the dust cover at the back of the oil pan?