Transmission cooler lines removal

mtraikov

05 4.0 auto 42 rle trans. I am in process of replacing the two lines. I have both disconnected from both radiator and transmission, but I can’t figure out how to get them out of there? Should I slide the lines towards the front or the rear of the Jeep? I get stuck either way right now...thanks for any Advice!

I'm assuming you are removing them permanently. So jut grab some diaginal cutting pliers ( called dykes around here) and snip the lines in half. Easy Peasy.

I'm assuming you are removing them permanently. So jut grab some diaginal cutting pliers ( called dykes around here) and snip the lines in half. Easy Peasy.

What if we're assuming that he's going to reinstall new ones?

Yes I am removing the old ones for good. So I can put in my new metal lines. But from which direction should I route the new ones through?

Yea OEM lines. So i have to remove the exhaust??? That makes the job much more time consuming. Can it be done with exhaust loose and not fully removed?

Possibly. See if you can slide the lines through behind the cats..

Hi, where did you find the new oil lines??? how much did you pay for them? Thanks!

Hey, I found them online I believe RockAuto had them. It was ~160 for complete OEM lines. Install was a complete pain due to clearance but they fit perfect, but fixed my issue. I unbolted the exhaust from the manifold so there was more room to fit them. Ideally, removing the entire exhaust would be much easier, but my midpipe connection was rusted and I didnt want to deal with that, especially since I did this in my driveway in December when it was 7* outside. Make sure you you install the quick disconnects correctly and they are seated perfectly or else your lines will pop off from radiator side. Dont ask me how I know...Cheers.

Reactions: matkal and Irving
Reviving this old thread. I was wondering if the transmission end of the lines can be reached and connected without removing the skid plate? I'm just starting to look at doing this job and assessing whether it's something I can tackle myself. The lines are now $232 at Rock Auto.

Reviving this old thread. I was wondering if the transmission end of the lines can be reached and connected without removing the skid plate? I'm just starting to look at doing this job and assessing whether it's something I can tackle myself. The lines are now $232 at Rock Auto.

Depends on your skids and how motivated you are.

Do yourself a favor though and take the 20 minutes to drop your skids.

i had to bend them to pull them out from behind the exhaust pipes. the auto trans lines hook to the driver side just behind the bell, and IIRC, i believe they are forward of the main belly skid.

Reactions: Rcroane
i had to bend them to pull them out from behind the exhaust pipes. the auto trans lines hook to the driver side just behind the bell, and IIRC, i believe they are forward of the main belly skid.
Thanks.....I assume you had to disconnect the exhaust at the manifold as others have said?

If you are still shopping for the actual lines you might check out Modern Day Muffler & Brakes, they are a sponsor here and I am sure in the sponsor tab above you'd get a discount. I had considered their lines before but I was able to just repair my leak on mine instead. Best of luck!

https://moderndaymuffler.com/

Sorry, one more question.....how are the lines connected at the transmission end? Are they quick connect style like at the radiator. Mine is an '06 if that makes a difference. Thanks.

Sorry, one more question.....how are the lines connected at the transmission end? Are they quick connect style like at the radiator. Mine is an '06 if that makes a difference. Thanks.
mine were hard line from the trans and transition to rubber b4 the radiator. They had a push lock fitting at the radiator and the 3/8 lines goes to a larger bushing threaded into the tranny