Transmission leak

X2 that's an NV3550. And X2 to the above advice to change the oil to a high mileage (!) CONVENTIONAL 10W-30 engine oil. I used Mobil Super 10W-30, a conventional high mileage oil, to cure a big RMS seal on my BMW. It stopped dripping in no more than 4-5 days. High mileage engine oil as has more seal conditioners to restore the seals than normal oils do. Mobil, Valvoline, Castrol, Pennzoil, etc. should be fine.

X2 that's an NV3550. And X2 to the above advice to change the oil to a high mileage (!) CONVENTIONAL 10W-30 engine oil. I used Mobil Super 10W-30, a conventional high mileage oil, to cure a big RMS seal on my BMW. It stopped dripping in no more than 4-5 days. High mileage engine oil as has more seal conditioners to restore the seals than normal oils do. Mobil, Valvoline, Castrol, Pennzoil, etc. should be fine.
Thanks, as always, Jerry. Just hit Amazon for Redline Mtl fluid for transmission fluid change, Lube locker gasket and more Diff fluid and a pump for Dana 30 change. Engine oil I am getting at local store and will follow your recommendation. Transfer case fluid is a local buy as well. I have some good projects lined up for this weekend!

Your leak around the transmission is identical to mine only the fluid at the housing is 100% transmission fluid. red. and it only drips a few drops each day. @Johnfromphilly did you come across any answers to the leak other than rear main in your research.

Your leak around the transmission is identical to mine only the fluid at the housing is 100% transmission fluid. red. and it only drips a few drops each day. @Johnfromphilly did you come across any answers to the leak other than rear main in your research.
No, I got three quick replies all saying the exact same thing so I stopped looking at cause and looked for the solution. I was sure mine was transmission fluid and thought it was red also. I also know next to nothing about cars and less about transmissions so I listened to the folks here. Maybe someone can help you. If you post a thread about it tag me so I can follow along. I am changing my oil and using 10w-30 conventional high mileage oil to hopefully stop the leak. Time will tell. Good luck.

Reactions: MeanGreen86
A leak there, the bell housing, would indicate a leak somewhere on the front of the transmission. Could be torque converter, the pump seal, or something else. Unfortunately, no easy way to inspect without disassembly. Unless there is an inspection cover you can remove. I'm not familiar with TJ automatics...I've only ever had manuals.

Maybe someone with more experience will weigh in.

Reactions: MeanGreen86
A leak there, the bell housing, would indicate a leak somewhere on the front of the transmission. Could be torque converter, the pump seal, or something else. Unfortunately, no easy way to inspect without disassembly. Unless there is an inspection cover you can remove. I'm not familiar with TJ automatics...I've only ever had manuals.

Maybe someone with more experience will weigh in.
Is there an output shaft seal? where the motor and trans mate? I know enough to get in trouble haha. I'll inspect the area closer this friday.

Note that mine is a manual so we may be dealing with different issues in the same area.
Hey, I was just thinking. When I got my current TJ, I thought I might have a RMS leak, because I did have oil like that on the underside, but I also had a pretty good valve cover gasket leak. I replaced the valve cover gasket last year and no longer have oil on the bell housing lip. So, double check that.

Reactions: Johnfromphilly
Hey, I was just thinking. When I got my current TJ, I thought I might have a RMS leak, because I did have oil like that on the underside, but I also had a pretty good valve cover gasket leak. I replaced the valve cover gasket last year and no longer have oil on the bell housing lip. So, double check that.
What is the best way to check that?
This leak on the floor has grown and the Jeep has not moved in two weeks, has not even been run. Wouldn’t a valve cover leak be from pressure while running and come out the top and down?

Reactions: ToddDerrArtist
Is there an output shaft seal? where the motor and trans mate? I know enough to get in trouble haha. I'll inspect the area closer this friday.
I wish I could be a better help. I'm not too knowledgeable about automatic transmissions. I believe there is a seal where the torque converter slips into the the trans that would be my first thought.

I've made the rookie mistake of pulling an auto trans out and not securing the torque converter and having it slip out of the trans...and making a mess. So, I've seen that part. at least. LOL!!

Last edited:
What is the best way to check that?
This leak on the floor has grown and the Jeep has not moved in two weeks, has not even been run. Wouldn’t a valve cover leak be from pressure while running and come out the top and down?
You would see a lot of oil on the side of the block above the starter, most likely or on the drivers side rear. Since the engine sits ata bit of a rearward angle, any oil is going to run toward the back. My knowledge of where the oil level in the oil pan would be. relative to the RMS, as it sits, is nonexistent. I would not think it would be above the seal, though. S

You would see a lot of oil on the side of the block above the starter, most likely or on the drivers side rear. Since the engine sits ata bit of a rearward angle, any oil is going to run toward the back. My knowledge of where the oil level in the oil pan would be. relative to the RMS, as it sits, is nonexistent. I would not think it would be above the seal, though. S
My oil level is perfect, wouldn’t the level be low? The engine is greasy and dirty, tough to see what is oil and recent vs what is just 20 years of life.

My oil level is perfect, wouldn’t the level be low? The engine is greasy and dirty, tough to see what is oil and recent vs what is just 20 years of life.
What was it the last time you checked? I can't imagine it leaking a considerable amount that would hamper operation. Just keep an eye on it. Once it warms up, considered taking some Simple Green and spraying the engine down (avoiding electrical components and such, and pressure washing off the old grime and oil. I did mine last years before I replaced the valve cover gasket and man did it make a difference...and it's still pretty clean.
At least then, with it clean, you can start gauging where the leak is coming from and ready for repair.

Reactions: Johnfromphilly
What was it the last time you checked? I can't imagine it leaking a considerable amount that would hamper operation. Just keep an eye on it. Once it warms up, considered taking some Simple Green and spraying the engine down (avoiding electrical components and such, and pressure washing off the old grime and oil. I did mine last years before I replaced the valve cover gasket and man did it make a difference...and it's still pretty clean.
At least then, with it clean, you can start gauging where the leak is coming from and ready for repair.
Will do, that is going to have to wait a month or two. Outside water is all winterized. Not really taking it anywhere until the snow disappears and with the solid base around here it is going to be awhile. Thanks for the tips!

Reactions: ToddDerrArtist
Ok. What is the fix? Not DIY for a beginner I imagine. Is this an expensive fix?
Its a DIY job.

Info. I did it by watching the video and a couple other TJ RMS change out video's on you tube. Took me a couple days (2-3) and since my TJ is not a daily driver I wasn't in a hurry.

Its a DIY job.

Info. I did it by watching the video and a couple other TJ RMS change out video's on you tube. Took me a couple days (2-3) and since my TJ is not a daily driver I wasn't in a hurry.
Thanks, after reading and researching what is involved I am not going to attempt it. I have never even changed my own oil (plan on it this weekend). I am adding high mileage conventional oil and hoping that helps. If not then my mechanic can do it.