Transmission mount bolt just spins when trying to loosen

Hopper

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I need to loosen my transmission bolts to install a motor mount lift. My understanding is the four bolts in the middle front of the skid/x member need to be loosened to not put stress on it while installing the mounts. 3 out of the four loosen and one just spins. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My guess is the one that's just spinning is seized on the stud and you've effectively stripped the nut?

Try soaking it in some penetrating fluid and go after it again. If the nut is really corroded, sometimes you can tap a smaller socket on with a hammer. The rust will flake apart making room for a smaller socket. If you can't get the nut loose you're probably headed for a new transmission mount...

Reactions: JMT and Hopper
My guess is the one that's just spinning is seized on the stud and you've effectively stripped the nut?

Try soaking it in some penetrating fluid and go after it again. If the nut is really corroded, sometimes you can tap a smaller socket on with a hammer. The rust will flake apart making room for a smaller socket. If you can't get the nut loose you're probably headed for a new transmission mount...
Thanks. These are probably the only bolts on my jeep that are not corroded. If it does not back out and I cant get it out. What should do I do.

Can you put downward pressure on it with a flat tip or small pry bar while turning it?

Reactions: B252
Can you put downward pressure on it with a flat tip or small pry bar while turning it?
I was going to suggest the same thing. You could try to use the weight of the skid to put pressure on it from above. Just be careful that it doesn't come crashing down on you! lol Have some jack stands in place just in case you end up pulling the skid past the flanged nut.

Those nuts are attached to a mount that bolts to the bottom of your transmission like this.
1604672183324.png

Reactions: Hopper
Worse case I suppose you can try to split the nut...hammer and chisel maybe? I don't think there's enough room to get a small grinder or dremel tool in there. Another potential option is to attempt to drill it out... But obviously you'll need a new mount, which it sounds like you're likely going to need one anyway

So lemme get this right, not only did Chrysler reduce the belly clearance on the late model TJ's, they also introduced some additional points of interference to the skid? How do those things survive at all in the rocks?