Transmission noise?

DCB

I have a 2002 Tj with a 5 speed transmission noise...any ideas?

I have had the clutch replaced twice now. My mechanic took the transmission to a trans mechanic and they went trough it and said there were no issues.
You can hear when I pushed the clutch in the noise goes away.

Thanks

It goes away when the clutch is pushed in? Sure sounds like a throwout bearing to me. What brand of throwout bearing did they use? Hopefully an OE Sachs one.

The 1st throwout bearing (clutch) was Luk. When I took it back for making the same sound he dropped the trans and said the bearing was good...but I think he replaced it again, not sure. I know the new parts are OE.

Hmmm, I may be wrong, but anytime I ever had an issue in the past with clutch noise coming and going when pressing n the pedal, it always turned out to be a throwout bearing. I suppose it could also be an improperly installed clutch (or something), but I'm not a transmission expert by any means.

NV3550 trans. They're known the be noisy. My old one rattled a lot. But you mention it all goes away when the clutch is pressed in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually that is backwards the throw-out bearing sits idle till you "push it in" then it pushes against the plate and spins, so if it was your throw-out bearing it would make noise when you hit your clutch and be quiet when you take your foot off of the clutch. So that said when you push your clutch in or step on the pedal you are disengaging your transmission and essentially stopping the front input bearing from spinning. If you are in neutral then basically your front input bearing is all that is spinning.

Break down
car running in neutral
Cutch pushed to the floor > Throw-out bearing spins > trans completely stopped
Let clutch out > throw out bearing not touching the plate stops spinning> front bearing in trans spins.

Does that make sense?

Sounds to me like you are either not running the right lubricant in your transmission, or the front bearing is noisy.
That is my guess based on what you have indicated in your first post.

Sounds like mine...noisy. when you push in the clutch, the tranny stops moving, so the noise goes away. I'm running Pennzoil synchromesh...think I'm gonna change it to redlines mtl

After listening closely to the video, towards the end after letting off the gas and returning to idle, that it's in fact the sound my manual used to make. That's part of the reason why I swapped it for an AX-15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine does the exact same thing. I have 1200 miles on my clutch kit, and it is rattly and noisy until I press the clutch pedal...goes away and it almost silent until I release the clutch pedal again.

I have the NV1550 paired with four banger...not sure how similar it is to the NV3550, but the noise is extremely similar non the less.

Last edited:
The NV3550 is just a box of rocks rattling. Mine sounds like that and has since the day I bought the jeep with 39K miles on it. Now has 152K.

Yes, the sound goes away as you rev the engine and then returns at idle. If the sound is not going to turn anything I’ll live with it.

One more thing, I noticed when I’m in 1st 3rd and 5th it makes a noise that is not there in 2nd and 4th.

It’s a Jeep Wrangler...it’s not supposed to be a luxury car.

Thanks