Transmission pan seal

Cjr-72

Ok i know this will sound stupid but I’m about to replace the gasket on my trans pan (automatic) for the 2nd time and i happen to notice that on the gasket instructions (maybe i should of read those the first time) it says not to use ANY kind of adhesive. It’s just your normal felpro gasket. Any advice on this would be great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shouldn’t be needed. Why did it leak after you replaced it the first time?

The FSM says the same thing. I used to slather gooey gasket sealer on everything till I started reading the right way to do stuff.
One good reason to NOT use gasket sealant is because when the tranny heats up, excess gasket sealer can make it's way into the pan and into the tranny body which gums up the valves and shift solenoids n other stuff.
Just make sure the surface of the pan and tranny are xtra clean and torque to specs and you should be fine.

If it's screwing off on you as you try and put the pan back up, a bit of patrolium jelly will help hold it in place and will melt away as the trans comes up to temp.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: RussTJ
All the pan gaskets I’ve replaced have the four corner bolt holes smaller diameter to hold the gasket in place.

Thanks all. It was leaking last time because… Hell if I know. Could have been because the pain was not level/flat, or that I used the wrong sealant, or that I just did not tighten it to the right torque spec Or all of the above

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk