Transmission shutter: Possible 42RLE transmission issues?

mgroeger

TJ Enthusiast
Recently I started to notice something with what I believe is the transmission.
It occurs when I am going slow, like when sitting in traffic or waiting my turn at a light where I am in a start/stop situation. When I am coming to that final portion of stopping the transmission sort of shutters and gets jerky like it is having trouble getting into whatever gear it is trying to rest in.
You can feel it in the Jeep and in the brake pedal and at first I thought it was my brakes. Side note, and I don't know if this is just a coincidence, but I recently bedded in my brakes which requires 4 to 5 60mph down to 15mpg, back to back occurrences. Obviously that hammers on the tranny pretty hard.

Within the last 2 months both axles have had the diffs checked, backlashes checked and fresh fluid. I replaced the transfer case fluid with Mopar ATF-4. The tranny fluid is still a good red but it is on my to do list to drop the pan, change the filter and do a flush.

Hmm, I'd start by checking the transmission fluid level for starters.

Hmm, I'd start by checking the transmission fluid level for starters.

Yeah that would be a good thing... doh. Honestly didn't even cross my mind because it's bone dry under side and nothing where I park.
It's also very random, doesn't do it all the time.

Reactions: Chris
You just did the brakes and you feel it in the brake pedal, I'd be looking at the brakes or hubs. I don't know why you'd feel a transmission issue in the brakes.

Breaking in brake pads by "bedding them in" has been done forever. A good illustration of how it is done with performance brake pads can be found on the Black Magic Brakes website.

Here: http://www.blackmagicbrakes.com/instructions.html

Step 1- Do a series of 5 back to back normal to moderately aggressive stops from 40mph to a rolling stop. Do not come to a complete stop, but almost. Do not ride the brakes during the break in process.

Step 2-
After the first 5 stops; drive around at normal speeds for approximately 10-15 minutes to cool down the pads. During this time, try to use the brakes as little as possible. If you have to stop, do so moderately and then use the parking brake to hold yourself in place until such a time that you can proceed with the cool down. The object is to keep from imprinting a layer of friction material onto the hot rotor.

Step 3- Repeat Step 1 and 2 again.

Step 4- By this time, the brakes should be safe enough to drive normally and should be left to cool down overnight if possible.

Step 5- After an overnight cool down, repeat Step 1 and 2 again.

Let's not turn this into a bedding brakes thread :)
The only reason I mentioned it is because it's a little rough on the tranny ramming it up to 60 and down to 15. Many have never heard of the process but it is the best thing to do for brakes.
Anyway...
I am feeling it in the brake pedal because the Jeep is shuttering from the tranny which is engaged with the rear axle thus pushing it forward.

I had a similar shudder at low speed after starting from a stop more prominate in reverse, but noticeable going forward also. I found a few threads about the skid plate transmission mount rubber damper deteriorating and causing simptoms like I was experiencing. I dropped the skid plate changed the mount although it looked intact after changing the mount the shudder has not returned. Not saying this same thing is happening with you’re Jeep but if you have not seen this problem it may be worth looking at a few tube videos on the issue.

Reactions: mgroeger