Transmission ticking noise

Hate to hijack this thread, but I've got the same ticking noise.
I only hear it while rolling, but lessens while under a load. Strange thing is I can even shut off the engine and still hear it. 2WD or 4WD doesn't matter, same noise.
I've inspected all I know to look for below. Everything looks tight. U joints look fine, no slop.
Strange! See video below. Any ideas??? Thanks, guys!

Update: Took the TJ into the shop today. They checked the Bolts on flywheel. All were tight. They scooped the engine and said the ticking was coming from the back of the engine. #5 or #6 cylinder. Possible valve. They would have to take the head off to see what condition the valves are in. $400 bill.

Question for the OP. We're you able to get this problem resolved? I've got a similar noise issue.

Update!
I narrowed it down to the rear end. I've been taking it apart a little each week as I have time. Dropped the drive shaft and when manually turning the rear axles, it would get stuck twice per 360. Pulled the axles, turned the pinion shaft - same. Finally pulled the carrier, and a dime sized piece of metal fell out. After knocking out the spider gears, I found where the metal came from. One of the clutch plates somehow came apart. See pic. Lower one is intact, middle of pic is the one that came apart. Still never found the rest of it...
Will update again after parts are replaced.

IMG_0345.JPEG

Update: Took the TJ into the shop today. They checked the Bolts on flywheel. All were tight. They scooped the engine and said the ticking was coming from the back of the engine. #5 or #6 cylinder. Possible valve. They would have to take the head off to see what condition the valves are in. $400 bill.
you ever get this fixed? I'm having the same problem and its getting worse lol

Any update? I know this is crazy old but my TJ is making a much quiter version of your sound. Did the head work fix it? As a side note, my 4.0 is in need of a rebuild. It will be done after this school year. Building a stroker. I am hoping kinda that the noise is indeed the engine since I will be rebuilding it. Did the shop fix it?

Bump.
1999 TJ 4.0 auto.

Same noise, but I have an automatic. Any fix found?
Ive got the same issue on my 3 speed auto, just had the tranny rebuilt. Problem got worse after so now it’s back in. Seems like it’s coming from the flywheel and disappeared once I was up to 60km or so

Ive got the same issue on my 3 speed auto, just had the tranny rebuilt. Problem got worse after so now it’s back in. Seems like it’s coming from the flywheel and disappeared once I was up to 60km or so
Here is my sound

So this was the cover plate over the flywheel, there are little tabs that had been out of position. Quick fix, phew!

Reactions: Squatch