Traveling food

I carry 20L in a jerry can, and will start a trip with a 6 pack of 0.5L bottles of drinking water in the cooler and refill from the jerry can as needed.

View attachment 344745

I like that. I have a jerry can of the same size but it doesn't have the spout so it's annoying. I was planning on getting some with a spout but the ones I found at the local Walmart were short and fat and I prefer the tall narrow jerry can profile more.

Reactions: Wildman
Re Water Cans:

The can in my photo is a Wavian water can, sold at the time under the brand name ProQuip in Australia. I immediately replaced the crappy spigot with a better nylon spigot from my local brew supply store, but it never sealed properly so I switched it out for a 1/2" brass 1/4 turn spigot with 3/4" bushing. No leaks.

Original spigot:
Original Spigot.jpg
First try at improvement:
New Spigot Installed End View.jpg
The final fix:
Brass valve for Wavian water can.jpg

Another option for water cans is a Spectre or Lexington MWC and drill a hole for a spigot.

Here are two unmodified MWCs flanking my 1960's era aluminum military water can:

LCI MWCs flanking Viet Nam era aluminum water can.jpg

Finally, here is a Rotopax 2 gal. water can that I modified with spigot and air tank drain valve to break the vacuum:

Modified Rotopax water can.jpg

I'll often put my hydration pack on the back of my chair so I can drink through the straw while I drive. The only big negative I have found is you can't see the water level so it's hard to regulate how much I am drinking.

Yep I've got my Camelback I wore in Iraq that I'm still using. I fill it with ice and water in the morning and refill it as needed. The ice is just nice for that cool drink plus as it melts it adds to the water in there. Plus my daughter could grab the hose and get a drink also and when she was younger it was easier than open bottles she could spill. I've only had to replace the bladder once so far.

Reactions: rasband
I like the quick easy doesn't require a refer on the tail such as PB&J in a wrap or PB&J with sliced banana, or honey. Or there is that bag of tuna if I need that protein fix, also carry fresh fruit (apples, bananas to curb that immediate hunger need). I'm one of those always eating (border line Hypoglycemia). Basically always eating (breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, late night snack etc and snacks btwn snacks...). As for fluids and staying hydrated typically carry a camelback, insulated thermos/tall 1 gallon cooler and if needed larger container of water. Now on the other hand if were full on camping/traveling for days on end we toss what ever will feel like eating in the refer in the Lance camper for the period we are out on the road.

I learned on my last outing to bring something that doesn't contain peanuts. was in a group of 4 vehicles, one didnt bring any food along (was just a few hours on a trail) all 3 of us had peanut products and of course the one without food was allergic to peanuts. they pulled out and headed home before finishing the trails.

So camp food has just become a problem! I got diagnosed with pretty high blood pressure on Monday but its almost back to normal on first time meds and slight exercise, I also have diabetes 2 and am just discovering all the low carb low sugar food along with the low carb low alcohol beer I have been drinking the past year because of my Diabetes diagnoses is packed with salt! I am neither Obese or unfit but life for me must now change and camping was the only time I splurged on less than healthy food anyway. I already rarely eat out and have not eaten highly possessed or fast food or soda for years

Any ideas for camp food appreciated given I cant fit a green grocery store in my TJ. :)

Last edited: