TRE thimble install

Oh man... Getting your hand sucked through the fairlead... Ugh, that sounds painful and gruesome.

Reactions: Kyle_W
A hook will go through a roller fairlead. If you are holding onto the hook, the hook will go through the fairlead and take your fingers and hand with it. The collar that integral to the bottom of the Safety Thimble is something I came up with after watching a video of a competitor getting his hand sucked through the fairlead when the winch solenoids stuck powering in.

That and a shackle is the safest method for attaching to stuff, steel or soft. The connection is positive and intentional. Before the advent of safety hooks with latches, we used to take electrical tape across the opening of the hook to keep them attached to stuff in an intentional and positive manner. Most of the folks who understood safe recovery were just using a tube thimble with a shackle but that still didn't stop the thimble from going through the fairlead. I fixed that with the Safety Thimble.

Oh shit, I had no idea that was even possible. Makes sense now. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricky gets a lot of grief because there isn't a WLL or max load on the thimble and the specification collectors give him shit for it. The reason that there isn't one is because the line goes around the only part that could potentially fail and that is the eye. Even if it did fail, the connection is still viable because the line is still intact. That means the weight rating is what ever the line is rated at.

That and everyone wants to try and apply overhead lifting standards to recovery equipment and they have about as much in common as an all wheel drive Subaru and a TJ. It's the equivalent of applying the rules of baseball to play a game of football. It just doesn't work.

Reactions: Rob5589 and Chris
The way the thimble is designed with the line running outside of it, I would imagine the line breaking every time before the thimble.

Blaine, was looking at getting some soft shackles. What is your thought on those?

The way the thimble is designed with the line running outside of it, I would imagine the line breaking every time before the thimble.

Blaine, was looking at getting some soft shackles. What is your thought on those?
The first time I picked one up, I immediately removed all steel shackles of any size and style from use. My recovery bag has several soft shackles, an aluminum snatch block and weighs about 4 lbs.

Reactions: Rob5589
Any issue using the soft shackle on say a snatch block and it's squared off/sharp edge? Everything else I could think of they would work well.