Tree Savers

Wildman

Over Analyzer Extraordinaire...............
Staff Member
Supporting Member
X-2n9MW&tn=uatXikXYIRL4O36X&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

OFF-ROADING 101

It's that winching time of year...
ALWAYS Use A Tree Saver
The tree in the lower photo is very likely going to die. A large number of very lazy people have used it as an anchor for winching. Not a big deal if done correctly but many used it as an anchor without using a very aptly named "tree saver". The winch lines cut into the bark. This is kind of like strangling a tree.
Please, use a tree saver. You might just...get this...save a tree.

I'm surprised a club hasn't put provisions in place that would make that tree an unnecessary winch point in order to protect it.

Here in the PNW we have more trees than clubs. And when snow wheeling you just never know which tree is the right one.

I found the HF 4" tree saver strap fits my budget and needs. Bonus it has a Velcro strap stitched in that makes rolling and stowing it into a tight ball a cinch.

-Mac

Here in the PNW we have more trees than clubs. And when snow wheeling you just never know which tree is the right one.

I found the HF 4" tree saver strap fits my budget and needs. Bonus it has a Velcro strap stitched in that makes rolling and stowing it into a tight ball a cinch.

-Mac

Yep,
Here's one example . If you look it would seem it's awful high on the tree but when there is snow on the ground and you can't make this hill without winching it's about as low as you can get.

1672162930545.png

It seams like doing this you would need to wrap the cable around the tree and then hook it back to itself, or used a short section of cable either way this is one of the cardinal sins of off-roading. And this also gives our friends at the Sierra Club 🫣 one more example why we should not be out there. Don't be that stupid MF’er

I’ve seen this evolve through the years in a positive way, back in the 70’s-mid 90’s I had never seen or even heard of a tree saver. Nobody used them or carried them. Then on the mid 90’s they started popping up more and more and people realize that when they were used their winch cables would last a lot longer, to the point that by the early 2000’s almost everyone had one and if not someone else would and it would be borrowed whenever anyone needed to run a cable.
Now I think it’s just in everyone’s recovery bag, and don’t know of anyone that does not have one, and nobody would winch to a tree without it. I also think the synthetic line helped in that since it’s much more expensive people will go out of their way not to damage it.

Interesting, being newer to wheeling (6 years in) I’ve never been in a situation where we didn’t use a tree saver, I feel like most folks carry one.l these days.

Interesting, being newer to wheeling (6 years in) I’ve never been in a situation where we didn’t use a tree saver, I feel like most folks carry one.l these days.

While I think folks are being more responsible nowdays, there is still the occasional jackwagon who does not think a tree strap is needed.

Reactions: Wildman
I have also noticed what look like giant soft shackles advertised as tree savers. While I guess it is better than a cable, it does not provide the same level of protection as a 3 or 4” wide flat strap.

Reactions: RubiconRic
I have also noticed what look like giant soft shackles advertised as tree savers. While I guess it is better than a cable, it does not provide the same level of protection as a 3 or 4” wide flat strap.

Even a 2 inch strap is going to protect the tree better than a rope.

I use USA made 3 and 4 ply lift slings for tree savers for several reasons. (I'm sure there are quality imports available too)
One, they are not of questionable or unknown quality.
Two, they are rated high enough "vertical" to be used as short extensions, which admittedly I've never needed them for yet.
The have real actual WLL tags on them.
They aren't covered with weird gimmicks, doodads, sleeves, covers, advertising banners or other useless shit.
But they are more expensive, generally speaking.

• USA Proud
Reactions: alittleoff and RINC