TrekTop NX is on it's last legs... not sure what to do

dockdoc

Original poster
I installed this top, Spice, on my dark blue TJ in 2018. Six years later I think it's time to replace... it's covered in mildew, a couple of the flaps are frayed... but the kicker was this week when I went to zip a window on and the entire zipper ripped off of the roof section.

I like the style of the TrekTop and it's worked well because while I often go doors and windows-off, I almost never want the roof off because I want the sun protection. So no worries there.

The biggest problem I have with it is how damn tight it is and how difficult it is to install (hence the zipper tearing off just now). It makes me want to never remove it because I dread having to fight with the dang thing to reinstall it.

From a cost perspective the cheapest thing would be just to reuse the hardware and get a new TrekTop replace-a-top. From what I'm reading that's probably the best option, but would assume I'll have the same issue.

Any other suggestions? I have Spice right now, but was thinking maybe the Twill being higher quality might be easier to work with / put on and off? Or is this just the nature of the beast?

Not sure where you live or if you garage your Jeep. Going to guess you don't garage it. That said, any top exposed to the elements of summer and winter don't last too long unless it's conditioned / treated with product to keep it "fresh" + cleaning and lubing the zippers also goes a long way for longevity.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
In NC, and it's generally outside but in the garage about 20% of the time. I'm not super worried about the longevity, just not sure which top to get to make sure it's easier to take off and put back on. From what I've been reading, the supertop sounds a bit better.

Buy a less expensive frameless top if you don't like it being too tight and you're not worried about longevity. The mildew is from not cleaning and using a protectant on it. My old top was over 12 years old when the rear stitching started to pull apart and leak. I went with a Sierra Offroad top for under $300.
p.s. I didn't have any problems removing the windows in my Bestop Trektop NX. I liked the flip back sunroof feature too.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Cooper
Buy a less expensive frameless top if you don't like it being too tight and you're not worried about longevity. The mildew is from not cleaning and using a protectant on it. My old top was over 12 years old when the rear stitching started to pull apart and leak. I went with a Sierra Offroad top for under $300.
p.s. I didn't have any problems removing the windows in my Bestop Trektop NX. I liked the flip back sunroof feature too.

Thanks I’ll take a look. I’m not sure why I have so much trouble with these windows. It’s not taking them off that’s the issue, it’s putting them back on.

Thanks I’ll take a look. I’m not sure why I have so much trouble with these windows. It’s not taking them off that’s the issue, it’s putting them back on.

I too have a Trektop NX, frameless. I like it a lot. Funny you say you had an issue reinstalling your windows because I had mine off for maybe two weeks and reinstalled them yesterday. There's a 'technique' or trick to putting them back on. Had I not known it, Id need a second pair of hands to install them. pretty sure I found a way via YouTube, if Im not mistaken. But it can be a little bit of a pain.

It’s not taking them off that’s the issue, it’s putting them back on.

Order of operation makes a big difference, imo. I've had my trektop nx on my TJ since they released the thing, I don't even remember when that was. 2012? It was my daily including northern winters for most of that time as well. I've got a couple chipped zipper teeth on the back window and the check straps have broken off but otherwise it's still kicking.

Anyway, this is the way I reinstall the windows that has worked for me. Alternate sides as you do each step:
Slide the rear window in through the top channel and slot the lower bar in.
Position the side windows using the velcro to hold it in place. Just start the zipper about an inch at the front.
Then go to the rear of the side window and start the zipper an inch.
Go back to the side zippers and zip them fully across the top.
Zip the rear window down 90% of the way.
Now leverage the bottom of the side window into the retainer channel in the tub. Start at the front and work rearward.
Finish zipping the rear window, and insert the tabs into the retainer at the rear.

If it's really cold out, you can let the jeep idle for a couple minutes with the heat on high, makes a big difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: fourpointzero
I have the twill SuperTop on our TJ. It was a real bitch to assemble and install the first time, but we have 'come to an agreement' since.
There's definitely "a preferred order of operations" for removing/replacing of the top & windows; if I deviate from it, the top usually barks at me and causes me to say bad words. If I stick to the routine, the top remains compliant and my sailor-esque vocabulary remains hidden.

• Haha
Reactions: fourpointzero
Order of operation makes a big difference, imo. I've had my trektop nx on my TJ since they released the thing, I don't even remember when that was. 2012? It was my daily including northern winters for most of that time as well. I've got a couple chipped zipper teeth on the back window and the check straps have broken off but otherwise it's still kicking.

Anyway, this is the way I reinstall the windows that has worked for me. Alternate sides as you do each step:
Slide the rear window in through the top channel and slot the lower bar in.
Position the side windows using the velcro to hold it in place. Just start the zipper about an inch at the front.
Then go to the rear of the side window and start the zipper an inch.
Go back to the side zippers and zip them fully across the top.
Zip the rear window down 90% of the way.
Now leverage the bottom of the side window into the retainer channel in the tub. Start at the front and work rearward.
Finish zipping the rear window, and insert the tabs into the retainer at the rear.

If it's really cold out, you can let the jeep idle for a couple minutes with the heat on high, makes a big difference.

Thanks - this is exactly the order of operations I've followed. It just seems to have gotten worse over time. This last time I couldn't make the rear window zipper meet one of the side window zippers. It was off by a couple of inches, no exaggeration. I was pulling on it with all 185 pounds to make it reach. Then when I got it connected it was so tight that the zipper ripped clean off the roof on one of the windows. It was 80 degrees out.

I have the twill SuperTop on our TJ. It was a real bitch to assemble and install the first time, but we have 'come to an agreement' since.
There's definitely "a preferred order of operations" for removing/replacing of the top & windows; if I deviate from it, the top usually barks at me and causes me to say bad words. If I stick to the routine, the top remains compliant and my sailor-esque vocabulary remains hidden.

I appreciate it. Sounds like it's not that much easier than the TrekTop to use.

I think my question has been answered... these tops both seem to be good, both aren't ever going to be truly easy to apply, so I'll probably just do a fabric replacement for the NX since that's cheapest.

Tempted to switch it up from Spice to Black just for fun, maybe get Twill.

Reactions: WestCoastDan