Trouble Code 24: Throttle Position Sensor

Waterville57

I have a 97 wrangler sahara so it has 4.o engine. I just recently aquired it from my father in law in non running condition. I got it running after finding out it was missing the asd relay. Now it idles at 2000 rpm and the check engine light is on. The code is 24 which is for tps. Do i just replace it or is there other possibilities?

Replacing your TPS will likely fix your idle RPM issue. Be sure to use a Mopar TPS, as aftermarket sensors are typically unreliable.

The ASD relay may have been removed to prevent the engine from being started by hot-wiring it. I'd start by replacing the TPS. Early '97 TJs used a TPS from a 95 Wrangler YJ which uses a different connector. So if yours is an early '97 like my '97 was with its 3/96 manufacture date (it's on the tag on the door jamb), you may need a '95 TPS. A bad TPS might cause a high idle.

Two more potential causes of a high idle rpm. 1) A dirty IAC (idle air control) which is what provides all of the engine's air when at idle. If it's dirty, it could be staying open too far and letting too much air in. Spraying throttle body cleaner into the throttle body while the engine is running at idle rpms will clean the IAC. This will also flood the IAC causing the engine to die which is ok, just restart the engine and do it again. I try to get 1/3 or so of the can through the IAC. Raising the engine rpms to prevent the engine from stalling will be counterproductive since that would cause the cleaner to bypass the IAC.

Aim the spray at the Idle Air Control Passage Inlet which is where the IAC draws its air from.

TB & TPS Sensor Locations.jpg

2) A vacuum leak will also cause a high idle as it lets more air into the air intake manifold in just like stepping on the gas pedal does.

I'd start by cleaning the IAC. Any aerosol throttle body cleaner will be fine. Some like to remove the IAC to clean it but cleaning it as described above usually works very well.

So i cleaned throttle body and iac. Replaced tps. Still idles about 2000 rpms. Tps is mopar by the way. Im at a loss.
Sounds like a vacuum leak. Cracked vacuum hose or fitting. Or has your exhaust manifold ever been removed/replaced? That can cause a vacuum leak.

Its been a few days. Did you ever find the answer to that problem?? Mine has been doing the same thing and I plan on replacing the Intake manifold today. I want to see if there is something I haven't checked yet.

Hopefully you have figured it out? I'm just trying to possibly see what is wrong with my 04 Sahara. Thank you have fun Jeeping
That member hasn't been here since 2019, I doubt he'll respond. What is the problem with your Sahara? It's likely better if you post your own thread on this. :)